Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ACCUQUILT GO or NO? >

ACCUQUILT GO or NO?

ACCUQUILT GO or NO?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 PM

I loved my Go so much, I bought the studio too. Great customer service with this company. Bought the Go from the LQS, but any problems are quickly solved by the company.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:45 PM

I'm in the minority. I bought the Go and it was way too limiting for me. I sold it and bought a big shot pro and love it. I can use almost any die on the market in it, including the Go dies I had bought when I had the Go. Also I had problems cranking the Go and the Big Shot Pro is so much easier (I think the new Go models have been improved in this department).

On the other hand my sister has a Go and is happy with it. She doesn't mind that it's limiting and for her, portability was more important.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:43 AM

Love my GO. It saves my shoulder. And I don't think there's much more waste than when I rotary cut. Actually, there's probably less waste as I was continually mis-cutting so wasting bigger chunks of fabric with the rotary cutter. My only issue is the price of the dies.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:50 AM

I don't own a GO but, a friend brings one into our bee for community quilt projects. It seems redundant to me. On hers, you have to cut the fabric a certain size to run it thru the machine. It seems like if i have to special cut the fabric, I might as well cut it the right size to begin with. But I can see it's usefulness to those that have arthritis or something that makes it hard to cut accurately.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I've noticed the younger quilters coming to my guild use all pre cuts and they all have a die cut machine of some kind. They use a rotary cutter to square up blocks but seldom use it to cut fabric pieces for a block. My DD won't cut fabric pieces using a ruler either. She buys pre cuts and uses the Go. I guess they think of the ruler and cutter as we do paper templates and scissors. LOL
Old 06-23-2014, 05:20 AM

I have the regular Big Shot. My friend has the Go and loves it. I'm considering one die for the Big Shot, it's cheaper than the Go, and since I wouldn't be using the Big Shot for anything else, $20 doesn't seem like a large amount.
It would just be the 2 1/2 inch die since I'd have to cut a lot of them. I got rid of most of the Sizzix stuff I had since it was too limiting. Kept the Big Shot for embossing only.

Friend is trying to convince me Go is superior. Maybe it is for most things, but when I can't design my own, it's no good. (I own the Silhouette Cameo should I want a custom applique and I usually do.)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 AM

I would buy the Fiskars Fuse instead....way cheaper. And then buy the Accuquilt dies to use with it.

The Fuse has a better crank ratio, making it easier to turn, and fewer turns needed. Plus, with adapters, you can use almost any die in the market with it (Studio dies don't work).

The Fuse is in between the Go! and the Studio, in my mind. Very nice and easy to use. Bigger than the Go!, a little less than the Studio.

I'm in love with the die cutting concept. Saves so much time! As far as fabric waste, I don't see it being a factor if you take a moment to plan how to lay the fabric out on the die ahead of time. The most I ever waste is 1/4" around the edges if it's a shape. On the strips I don't waste anything more than what I would doing it by hand with a rotary cutter and a June Tailor template.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't understand the fabric waste thing. I have no more then 1/4" around the die shape. Those that say that must be covering the whole die! I don't even use all the mat if I'm just cutting on one part of the die. I use the Go how I want to use it, I'm not afraid of it. I have cut everything that is possible to be cut with it, even foil and cellophane squares to wrap cookies and brownies for a bake sale. Felt shapes for the felt board at the library story hour. The large circle die cuts perfect fitting parchment to line my cake pans, the small circle die cuts the paper for muffin pans.
I love my GO too........and I go to it every chance I get, but never thought about parchment paper linings....thanks for the heads up.........
Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 AM

I love my go. I don't have much waste. I just cover the area of that cuts with fabric...not the whole die. I was able to get most of the dies I use on sale..or clearance. I hear they don't allow price discounts anymore. I have about worn out my 2 1/2 inch strip die. I use patterns for jelly rolls ...but cut my own! I think it is worth the money. But...I love gadgets!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:59 AM

I think it would be totally cool to have. But how much would you be willing to pay for each shape? Say you went into a store and had to buy a packet of squares to make a quilt. How much is too much? Figure out how much you might use it. After about about 12 jelly rolls, you're pretty much even in the cost vs use.