Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbins - which are which >

Bobbins - which are which

Bobbins - which are which

Old 09-06-2015, 06:56 AM

My Bernina takes the metal bobbins that came with it and also plastic bobbins that came with my White.
The Featherweight and the 301 use the same bobbins: larger around and thinner.
I have a 10 hole bobbin that is very thick, and don't know what it is for.
The Singer Red Eye needs a thinner bobbin. I don't have that one working yet, so don't know what works in there.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:30 AM

We should have a party for bear-is-gray, this is a quilter who knows! Agree that you should use the bobbin cited in your manual. I always thought that a metal bobbin would be the thing to use so I ordered the correct bobbin in metal instead of plastic to give it a try. Big mistake, there were little (tiny) pieces of metal that got caught on the thread and talk about a "bird's nest?" It was more like a rat's nest. Luckily I didn't buy a bunch. There are two sites online that have charts, one of them is sewingpartsonline. Sorry I don't have the exact link, but if you type that into Google it brings up the site link. I have little colored boxes for bobbins to each machine and a cookie tin for the bobbins for the main machine, all are labeled. Wound bobbins are in those round rubber bobbin holders from Nancy's Notions and other wound bobbins are on the bobbin trees, also from Nancy's notions. Organization is almost a necessity in quilting. That said with such conviction and I find that after each project is completed I have to re-organize because I've pulled out so many tools, etc.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I searched for "sewing machine bobbin info" and that was one of the sites that came up.

My favorite bobbin holder/organizer is something called "the bobbin tunnel" - or "bobbin storage tunnel" - i think the item number is BT60.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

SAme here. I have cases marked for my machines as to what bobbins go to what machines. For awhile I had my bobbins attached to my thread. Doesn't work when you want that thread but not the bobbin. Always keep my bobbins separate in a bobbin. just bought couple more cases for my bobbins.
Originally Posted by regm View Post
I'm very careful keeping bobbins separate for my Janome, Kenmore and Brother embroidery machines. I'm not an organized type person but this I'm careful about.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Plastic are usually top loading and plastic bobbin cases and metal are usually for front loading metal bobbin cases. Its one of the many reasons I stick with my one brand of machines
But of course there are exceptions to every rule. My Singer has a metal bobbin case & a plastic bobbin (always did). It is, however, top loading.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:49 AM

I have plastic craft boxes like tackle boxes I found in the craft isle at Walmart. I write the name of my machine on them and keep the bobbins for each one in its own box.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:51 AM

Because I ran into that same problem, I have finally gotten them all sorted out and each is kept in its own small plastic container with a TIGHT fitting lid. I then labeled the containers with the matching machine. Good luck getting them figured out, it can be frustrating
Old 09-06-2015, 11:21 PM

My solution for the bobbin problem - and this works well for me...I have (blush) 13 sewing machines and all but 2 of them sew and I try to use them all... rotation as much as I can.........I have EACH machines bobbins in its separate PILL HOLDER..........you get them at the Dollar Store......and on each of those (weekly size ) pill holders, I have the name of the machine taped on, that the bobbins go with,.......so I can easily pick up the weekly pill holder holder that says BERNINA on it, and know that is the correct one........on the Singers, they all have their names, like ANDY (my 1940's little tan 301 from Anderson SC plant( his bobbin case says ANDY on it.....and the PINK GIRL (the Pink Atlas) says PINK GIRL on it..........am I making sense here? the pill boxes, hold a weeks worth of medication so its got the 7 slots and I find that all of the bobbins seem to fit ok in there...KMart and Wally World have them too, but the dollar store is the cheaper one, of course. If you have a lot of bobbins, there is a 2 week size for medications too, I think I saw that at KMart........hope this helps...
Old 09-07-2015, 02:15 AM
Power Poster

For me, the mystery was "what size/style bobbin to get?" when the machine came with one bobbin and no manual.

Thank goodness for places that have listings of what bobbin goes with what machine.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
For me, the mystery was "what size/style bobbin to get?" when the machine came with one bobbin and no manual.

Thank goodness for places that have listings of what bobbin goes with what machine.
Vinking makes this easy, their machines are listed as series and each one has a different #. I have one that is the #1 and the latest ones have a different #. They are also indented in the middle so its easy to tell at a glance if they are Viking or not. Some machines do have both plastic and metal, my Kenmore does.