Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Needing a good hoop/frame for hand quilting while sitting in chair! >
  • Needing a good hoop/frame for hand quilting while sitting in chair!

• Needing a good hoop/frame for hand quilting while sitting in chair!

Old 10-11-2015, 05:05 AM

I have never used a hoop for hand quilting. It seems to me that it would be very uncomfortable and far more trouble that it was worth. I do use a hoop for embroidery but not for quilting.
    Old 10-11-2015, 09:43 AM

I have the Hinterberg Hoop and floor stand, also have the lap stand too, but prefer the floor stand because it keeps the quilt off me. (I live in So. Cal. and the average temperature it 76 degrees year round.)
    Old 10-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Hinterberg also makes a floor stand quilting hoop that tiltsl, rotates, etc. See if anyone has one you can try out. I have a lap model which I use when I quilt. I do sit up straight when I quilt; I could not quilt in my recliner, but maybe you can. Like every other method, there is a learning curve. I use a finger cot on my "pulling finger" to make it easier to pull the needle through the fabric. Also, I don't load the needle too full of stitches. I've never needed pliers to pull my needle through. I also use John James needles, size 10.
    Old 10-11-2015, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by mimmy96
    I am new to hand quilting! I inherited a bunch of quilts that were already started by hand so I plan on finishing them that way. I am wanting to hand quilt them while sitting in my recliner watching tv. I currently have a large oval wood frame and it is not working for me at all. I am wanting something more comfortable. I am doing larger quilts (full/queen). What are you using and what do you recommend?
    The only hand quilting I have done, I did on an older wood hoop in my lap. I just put a nice size book standing between my knees, leaned the hoop on the top of the book, and sat stitching. For part of it, I did put a dining room chair in front of me to hold the edge of the frame, so I could change position occasionally. It did work, but it was just wall hanhing size so it was light weight, not sure if it would work with a larger quilt, but you might be able to adapt what I did to something that could work for you?
    Old 10-11-2015, 03:49 PM

I do all my hand quilting using a pvc floor frame. I got it at HSN. Since I got mine I see they have them at all the fabric shops. They snap together and work well for me. When I am finished I simply take it apart and store it in the little box it came in. I too, have help issues and sit in my recliner, not reclined. Works for me.
    Old 10-11-2015, 03:57 PM
    Power Poster

I have a plastic hoop that runs about 14 inches across. It tightens with a wing nut, and I have had this thing for years. I love it. It made by Dritz, I believe.
    Old 10-14-2015, 02:56 PM

Glad you posted this as I have been looking at hand quilting hoops too. It is nice to see what other use and prefer.