Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Clover Wedge Iron >
  • Clover Wedge Iron

• Clover Wedge Iron

Old 10-12-2015, 10:52 PM

Sharyn,
    You might check out the Dritz Petite Press. I have one and liked it so much I bought 2 more, one for a friend and one for my backup. It has an adjustable head, a built-in stand, and 4 heat settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGPoH-jVaMw

It's in the notions section at Joann's, and for their coupon purposes is actually considered a notion. You can also get it at Fabric Depot, should you decide a road trip is in order. And, of course, Amazon.

Price runs in the $20-$30 range, depending on where you get it.
    Old 10-13-2015, 09:21 AM

thanks for that idea Peggi. I went to the quilt show in Aurora Colony Sunday and on the way home thought I might stop in at the fabric store that used to be attached to Pendleton Woolen Mills and then was moved across the road. I got lazy and didn't but I'm wondering if it is still enormous and why it doesn't get flagged like fabric depot does. Have you been there lately?
    I used to go there all the time when we lived in Portland, it was a treasure trove of Mill stuff deep in the dark in the back
    Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 AM

I was using the Clover mini iron, I laid it on my ironing board......I smelled something burning...yep, it was burning a hole in the cover....it was crispy burnt! Whoops........glad I was still in the room! It gets HOT!
    Originally Posted by sherryellen
    I have the clover iron and use it for fusing small pieces when I applique. It does get hot and will melt it's little stand so I place it in a mug on its side. It works well.
    Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    thanks for that idea Peggi. I went to the quilt show in Aurora Colony Sunday and on the way home thought I might stop in at the fabric store that used to be attached to Pendleton Woolen Mills and then was moved across the road. I got lazy and didn't but I'm wondering if it is still enormous and why it doesn't get flagged like fabric depot does. Have you been there lately?
    I used to go there all the time when we lived in Portland, it was a treasure trove of Mill stuff deep in the dark in the back
    Are you talking about the Mill End Store on McLoughlin in Milwaukie? http://www.millendstore.com/

To be honest, I don't think about it very often because for me, it's not very easy to get to. I have to drive through downtown Portland to get there, and due to my work hours, I'd have to drive during rush hour.
    It's been probably 4-5 years since I've been there, but as far as I know it's still there.

I've purchased home dec fabrics there, and my wedding dress fabric. If memory serves, I wasn't very impressed with their quilting selection, it was mostly novelty fabrics and that's not really my thing. They do have a very nice selection of dressy polyesters, silks, and rayons.

I know what you mean about the treasure trove, though. Their clearance room is amazing.

If you ever get up as far north as Vancouver, look me up. I'll take you out to Camas; Pendleton has a mill end store there with some delicious treasures. You can get a rocking deal on wool yardage, I've found some as low as $3 a yard. Plus they have a huge selection of Pendleton brand clothing, about half of it marked down for clearance. And it's not all wool clothing, either.

How was the quilt show? That's not one I've been to yet.
    Old 10-15-2015, 07:26 AM

I live north of you Peggi, Kalama. thanks for your input on Mill Ends.
    I used to go out to the Pendleton outlet store in Camas every couple of years but we've gotten completely away from any fabrics that can't be run through the washer and dryer. I never thought about them offering something that isn't wool, their clothing used to be superb. Retail clothes seem to be sewn in India, Vietnam, and Russia now..
    Old 10-15-2015, 09:30 AM

I used my Clover Wedge just this morning. I love the light weight, it has 3 heat levels. The hottest was just that...hot! I also love how it sits in my hand. It is NOT a steam iron. It does come with a small water spray bottle. I think this iron would be great for travel, retreats, etc. It is cute!

It fits inside of a small embroidery hoop. I made a small zipper bag last month (in the hoop project) and it called for pressing a part of the project while leaving it in the hoop. This iron would have been vey handy for that step. I finger-pressed instead. Not with great result either.

Clover makes quality products.
    Sandy
    Old 10-15-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    I live north of you Peggi, Kalama.
    Of course, I knew that! For some reason I was thinking Klamath.....
    Old 10-16-2015, 03:55 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Sharyn,
    You might check out the Dritz Petite Press. I have one and liked it so much I bought 2 more, one for a friend and one for my backup. It has an adjustable head, a built-in stand, and 4 heat settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGPoH-jVaMw

It's in the notions section at Joann's, and for their coupon purposes is actually considered a notion. You can also get it at Fabric Depot, should you decide a road trip is in order. And, of course, Amazon.

Price runs in the $20-$30 range, depending on where you get it.
    That's the one I posted about upthread - I saw it in Walmart for under $20.