Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sandwiching quilt. >

sandwiching quilt.

sandwiching quilt.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:34 PM

I use my cutting ta le aand lage binder clips. Start in the center and work your out on all sides eguillidastantly as you go,

thd center
Old 10-24-2015, 08:21 PM

I have access to old wooden quilt frames used to quilt "bee" style. It takes two people to put the quilt on the frame, but then it is easy to baste or pin a nice taut quilt. These frames come up for sale quite often for a reasonable price.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:33 AM

If you have a friend with a no-baste frame, you can use that frame to baste your sandwich and remove it for your quilting. Or if you know someone with a longarm, they can baste it for you.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:08 AM

I saw once where a lady took a large wall, covered it with newspaper to catch the spray when she spray basted. Several years ago, my daughter moved out and left her boxsprings up against the wall in the spare room. Made a fantastic place to pin my quilts too, rather as I was making them for a design wall or preparing them for quilting.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:31 AM

I want to thank all of you for a big grin I have. So very glad to know I am way not alone in not being able to get on knees. Getting old is NOT for the weak. Have a good day and keep on quilting.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:17 AM

Our church has big tables which people in Guild or others can use when they need. It works really well, and they don't mind letting people use them.
Mariah
Old 10-25-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I tape mine to the floor, but recently I watched a video from Kismet Smith showing how she makes her sandwich using 3 pool noodles. It was posted in a FB group so if you search for her if you belong to FB you should be able to find it. I don't think I can put a FB link in here.
Thanks for posting this! One of the commenters stated that after seeing the video she went to Home Depot and bought pipe insulation and electrical conduit for $11 to do this with. My mother-in-law has an old dining room table that's very long that I can use to do this! Heading to Lowe's this week to get some myself! Thanks again! ☺

Donna
Old 10-25-2015, 07:51 AM

These posts are great! I'd heard about the pool noodles, but the video really help show how to unroll them to achieve the desired goal.

My back & knees didn't get the memo that I'm only 38 & pinning on the floor is a multi-day process for me because I need breaks. At my old apartment, I had room for a design wall. I used 2 pieces of particle board that together were the size of my Queen bed & would set them on top of the bed, duck tape them together & use that. The only difficulty was starting in the middle. I like the idea of just taping everything upright, but I'm not sure my knees could handle the squatting. Would be perfect for my smaller quilts, though.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You can pin on the floor but it can scratch up the floor. You use masking tape and stick the backing to the floor. Put a pin through the masking tape and the backing edge to secure it as you stick it down. The tape generally sticks well to linoleum but not to the fabric very well. Place a marble under the backing and you move it around as you pin so you have a bit of clearance off the floor so you can work the pins. Smooth out the batt and top and pin every 4 inches or so.
P.S. Wear a pair of knee pads or use a garden foam to kneel on.

I don't do sandwiching this way because I can't kneel on the floor (knees too bad even for knee pads). But that marble under the backing is an absolutely BRILLIANT idea! And would work on a table, as well. Trying to lift up on the sandwich enough to get a pin in or baste it is frustrating in the extreme and the marble would solve all that.

Great idea, Tartan!
Old 10-25-2015, 11:38 AM

An adjustable ironing board with a board of plywood about 4 x 6 on top works well too. Start in the middle of the quilt sandwich and then work out on first one side and then the other. It beats getting on the floor and not being able to get up again.