Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is It Obsession? >
  • Is It Obsession?

• Is It Obsession?

Old 03-05-2016, 11:27 AM

I have never thought about it as being wasted. Without it we would have no seams & with no seams.... no quilt. It is doing an important job so it is not wasted fabric.
    Old 03-05-2016, 11:42 AM
    Power Poster

I've never worried or obsessed about anything like that. It's like one of the celebrities at an awards show gave a lot of credit to the big guys and said everyone who worked on this project contributed in their own very meaningful way and without them it would have not become so important to all. So remember every little bit counts and always has.
    Old 03-05-2016, 11:48 AM
    Power Poster

I was a little haphazard in the beginning of my quilting journey, thinking that the seams don't really matter. Over time I learned that the BETTER I prepare and treat EVERY step of the process, the better the outcome (and the less rewor). So I understand what you are saying to a point, but the focus is (and should be) the finished quilt. You can honor the supporting staff (seams) by sewing and pressing them correctly.
    Old 03-05-2016, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    LOL Geri B... I'm going to have to remember that one!

This whole question, and all of the earnest replies, just cracks me up. Is somebody pulling our leg?
    Just maybe.....
    Old 03-05-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma
    I'm pretty much a fabric waster and don't even save small scraps. So, no, I've never thought about the fabric in the seam allowances! My mother told me I would marry a rich man because of the waste when I peeled potatoes. I guess it's carried over to my quilting too!
    well, did you? Wish my mom had told me that....Oh well first time love, second time money....but there won't be a second time for me! I just cooked, cleaned, gave birth for one............Forget it again!
    Old 03-05-2016, 03:38 PM
    Power Poster

Sorry I started all this. I was not really all that serious when I made this post. It crosses my mind from time to time, but I am not considering a smaller than 1/4 inch seam or anything like that. I guess I should have put an "LOL" at the end of my post.
    Old 03-05-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    It's kind of like the hard working people behind the scenes in a movie. Am I the only one who thinks this way?
    Ummm... "Life is not a movie" comes to mind.
    On the other hand, I've taken pictures of some of my seams for my niece's quilt book so she understands what all goes into making a quilt. It all started the day I proudly showed her all my applique pieces carefully laid out on my design wall. She jumped up & down with delight and then asked with all the innocence of her 3 years on this earth "Auntie, can you finish it so I can take it home with me tonight?"
    Old 03-05-2016, 05:30 PM

I am thankful my seam lines are hidden as sometimes my seam are not straight, sometimes you can see little holes where they have been sewn in and taken out several times and of course there are those that have lines sewn on top of lines when I have needed to correct a cooked line but just wasn't up to picking the crooked one out.
    Old 03-06-2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    Sorry I started all this. I was not really all that serious when I made this post. It crosses my mind from time to time, but I am not considering a smaller than 1/4 inch seam or anything like that. I guess I should have put an "LOL" at the end of my post.
    Glad for the confession.....you had a lot of us worried about your stability...but now we know you're just as sane as the rest of us! Keep those bobbins rockin!
    Old 03-06-2016, 11:13 AM
    Power Poster

Thinking about unseen fabric seams would be right up there with fretting over a snowflake melting. Not a thought I'd give any value to. Odd thoughts cross my mind too.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-06-2016 at 11:17 AM.