Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Fold and Stitch Wreath--First Attempt--Used Grandma Mary's Explanation >
  • Fold and Stitch Wreath--First Attempt--Used Grandma Mary's Explanation

• Fold and Stitch Wreath--First Attempt--Used Grandma Mary's Explanation

Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]547058[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547059[/ATTACH]
    I ordered the pattern, read and re-read Grandma Mary's posts, watched the candle wreath video, and started in. The material and the ribbons and the shell stitch are very pastel so it isn't as eye-catching as some. Learned that the stuff I used for the stiffner was too stiff and better suited for a suitcase! The next time I try, I think I will use a hybrid of the two methods and see how that works. Also, the hole in the center of this one is large enough that my fat candles look lost, so I will make the next one with smaller squares. Everything I do is an experiment of some sort or another. Grandma's explanation was very helpful and I want to thank her for the detailed post and wish her good luck with her class. I know she will have very happy students.
    Hi there! This is beautiful! I'm so glad you were successful in your first attempt! I DID have my first class and everything went very well. The only thing that we added was a couple more hours to get them done! The students were all fine with staying longer, so I was very happy! Now, I figured out a better, faster way to mark the squares for first time makers.
    I'm curious...what stabilizer did you use? Was it the Peltex? It IS a bit difficult, but I find I like it the best. It gets easier to use with practice! Keep up the good work!
    Old 04-07-2016, 08:39 AM

I agree...you just need to get through making the first one! Then it's addictive!
    Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 AM

I found (thru a lot of trial and error) that the 950F Shirt weight interfacing works very nicely with the cotton fabrics. I cut it the size of the inner square and it doesn't interfere with any of my topstitching. If one (or both) of the fabrics are of a heavier weight, I do not use any interfacing but I do a decorative stitch in the center of the square. It seems to provide plenty of stiffness. I have made 3 sizes and find the one with the finish squares of 6 to be a perfect size for candles or stemmed bowls. The smaller one was great to stick easter eggs in and the larger was a good size to use as a centerpiece that would include a larger 'food' bowl. Example, my patriotic ones hold a good snacks bowl. I have also made the small halloween ones and have little mummies peeking out the 'petals'. Careful, making these becomes very addictive!!!!!!
    Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Great job!
    i have the pattern from poorhouse, just bought the stiffener- wow, it sure is stiff! The instructions say to sew right sides together, leaving an opening, then flip out....does this stiffener make that difficult? That is my concern.....
    It IS a little difficult when you first learn, but gets easier with practice. Just put your thumbs way inside tight to the corners, put your index and next finger outside the corners where your thumbs are and push those fingers in, and poke them out through the hole you cut. I do both corners at the same time and then pop the side of the square over. Then do the other corners the same way. You can also cut the x's a little bigger than the pattern calls for, as long as it stays small enough to be covered by the 5" appliqué piece. (I do a + instead so the fabric doesn't stretch. The X is cut on the bias)
    Old 04-07-2016, 08:47 AM

If you use the heavier stiffener, make sure you leave most of one side open. Just stitch a bit around the corner rather than leaving a couple inch opening as we usually do when turning. Also, I would cut the stiffener a bit smaller so that it doesn't cause you a problem with your topstitching.
    Old 04-07-2016, 10:07 AM

It is so interesting reading thru the posts and reading what struggles and observations you have made. Grandma Mary, what I used was Peltex Extra Firm. I have since been to a place that did have the regular weight Peltex and it is lighter. I did buy some heat and bond to use for the next one. The trouble I had with the extra firm was that I had to make the slit so much longer to enable me to poke it through. Then when I ironed the slit down, and even though I had used Wonder Under on the wrong side of the applique square, it still showed through and didn't make it as attractive as I wanted. I didn't have any trouble at all making the decorative stitch and stitching through the thickness, although I had to use the extra step to get it under the feed dogs. klswift, I did some fussy cutting on these. Did the bunny thing and lined the ears up perfectly, but didn't point them toward the corner. I must have had a senior moment, so there are fussy cut bunnies all lined up neatly, but you can't see them well as their ears are under the cupped part. Live and learn, my mother used to say. I had decided 6 inches would be better and am going to make some for my class ladies at Christmas, if I haven't forgotten it all by then! I hope you all will continue to share your experiences for the interested.
    Old 04-07-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65
    It is so interesting reading thru the posts and reading what struggles and observations you have made. Grandma Mary, what I used was Peltex Extra Firm. I have since been to a place that did have the regular weight Peltex and it is lighter. I did buy some heat and bond to use for the next one. The trouble I had with the extra firm was that I had to make the slit so much longer to enable me to poke it through. Then when I ironed the slit down, and even though I had used Wonder Under on the wrong side of the applique square, it still showed through and didn't make it as attractive as I wanted. I didn't have any trouble at all making the decorative stitch and stitching through the thickness, although I had to use the extra step to get it under the feed dogs. klswift, I did some fussy cutting on these. Did the bunny thing and lined the ears up perfectly, but didn't point them toward the corner. I must have had a senior moment, so there are fussy cut bunnies all lined up neatly, but you can't see them well as their ears are under the cupped part. Live and learn, my mother used to say. I had decided 6 inches would be better and am going to make some for my class ladies at Christmas, if I haven't forgotten it all by then! I hope you all will continue to share your experiences for the interested.
    I can't remember if I told you before, but did you also put Wonder Under on the wrong side of the "back" square of fabric ( this means you have it in two places, the wrong side of the "back" square, AND the Wong side of the appliqué square? I do that extra step when I use Peltex. Then after turning the squares right side out, before adding the appliqué, I set the square on the ironing board with the cut side up. I hand press the sides and corners of the the fabric toward the center where the cuts are. This starts to close the gaps in the cut area, and then I iron it down. Since the heat n bond is on the back of the X it fuses it down to the Peltex holding the opening closed. I figured this issue out after making my second wreath and noticed that I could see the opening. Hope this helps!
    Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM

Very nice Fold and Stitch wreath.
    Old 04-07-2016, 11:48 AM

I like it, and particularly your comment about the hole being so large. I think I will make the smaller squares, too.
    Old 04-07-2016, 12:38 PM
    Power Poster

OK Please tell me where the pattern ya all are talking about is.... Grandma Mary's pattern.