Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • deja vu all over again, Hope Chests >
  • deja vu all over again, Hope Chests

• deja vu all over again, Hope Chests

Old 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM

I have my cedar chest and it's full of my 2 daughters things when they were babies, and alot of my stuff over the years also...I cross-stitched pillowcases and bedspreads in hopes of giving my married daughters all the things, well they all have king pillows now, so regular pillowcases don't fit and the beds are king size so the bedspreads don't fit...so what to do with all the things...I use them...I still have regular pillows on guest beds, and full size beds...so at least they are getting used...I got my chest when I got married, and yesterday was our anniversary of 54 years, and my stepfather made the chest out of cedar...so it's even more special to me...
    Old 05-27-2016, 04:07 PM

I remember them, when I was young in high school, I thought they were the neatest things and I would dream of having one. We couldn't afford it, there were so many other things more important. Fast forward 35 yrs of marriage later, my dh and I seen one at a flea market that matched our antique sled bed. We bought it, cedar lined and all. Funny, I couldn't even tell you what I have in it. Maybe some quilts, I will have to look.
    Old 05-27-2016, 07:54 PM

I too treasure my grandma's embroidered and crocheted pillow cases -- I used them and DH's hair stuff stained them. I have a bed spread that is crocheted but it is too heavy to put on my feet anymore. My other grandma made quilts -- some with embroidery -- and I display those. I did use the quilts for the children when they were little -- and let my almost granddaughter wrap up in my bubble gum pink quilt that was made for me when I was little. I try to use everything every now and again.
    Old 05-27-2016, 09:53 PM

Went to visit my Grandmother when she turned 90. My mom and her sister were there too. So as we were fixing dinner I was getting out some fancy dinnerware and serving pieces. When I asked if we could use them, my Grandmother said we always save them for something good, but who is "goodder than we are"? So we used the items for my entire visit. Not one item broke and she had a chance to enjoy her items.

We use everything too.
    Old 05-27-2016, 11:47 PM

Over here the chest is the bottom drawer. I saved China and cooking items which came in very useful when I moved into my own house ( minus husband partner etc) alone.
    Old 05-28-2016, 02:37 AM

Hope chests went away like virginity.

Sandy
    Old 05-28-2016, 03:18 AM

I have my mothers Hope Chest, it is a really ornate cedar chest & it is 84 years old, purchase in 1932. She did use all the stuff she put in it. I had one but it was the bottom drawer of a chest of drawers, I used all of the things I had put in it also.
    Old 05-28-2016, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
    Hope chests went away like virginity.

Sandy

Thats true!......
    Old 05-28-2016, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
    I remember them, when I was young in high school, I thought they were the neatest things and I would dream of having one. We couldn't afford it, there were so many other things more important. Fast forward 35 yrs of marriage later, my dh and I seen one at a flea market that matched our antique sled bed. We bought it, cedar lined and all. Funny, I couldn't even tell you what I have in it. Maybe some quilts, I will have to look.
    My family couldn't afford one either. I bought myself a Lane cedar chest when I got my first job. My son now has it.
    Old 05-28-2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by jjs56
    My family couldn't afford one either. I bought myself a Lane cedar chest when I got my first job. My son now has it.
    I think it means more now to us, looking back. Many years ago,my elderly neighbor had a cedar chest full of beautiful items, she would take out and look at and put back. I vowed to always use my items as my kids wouldn't find the value in them. different times I love crocheted pillowcases and all the dainty hankies and such.