Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a quilting machine >

Looking for a quilting machine

Looking for a quilting machine

Old 11-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I would recommend starting with a list of "must haves", followed by a "would be nice to have" list.

For me, those must haves are needle up/down setting, motor speed control, good lighting, good automatic threader, good stitch quality on button-hole stitches, large table, and probably a few more.

Take it from there. There are well-known manufacturers and I find that the customers are generally very loyal to a brand. I, for example love Baby Lock. Others prefer Janomes, or Brother. Berninas are popular but on the pricey side. Go to a dealer and check out the features vs. price. Don't get sticker shock.

I want to test drive my machines to make sure we hit it off. There is nothing worse than an incompatible sewing machine. I ended up with one and was NOT happy. Not knowing your wife, I have no idea if she would appreciate a final product under the tree or if she'd prefer to be in on the decision. Have fun and pat yourself on the back for being a very supportive DH (that's Darling Husband in quilt-speak).
Old 11-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Thanks everyone for your reply's. My wife is not into researching and so she has giving me that job. We are going Saturday to look at the line of Bernina.I also like the Juki TL 2010Q. I'm familiar with Juki leather sewing machines.If the Juki TL 2010 Q is as good as their leather machines will be going with it.I'm a weaver and do leather work.My wife and I will both be using this unit.Thanks again
Old 11-29-2016, 02:18 PM

That looks like a lovely machine!

Watson
Old 11-29-2016, 02:31 PM

My husband selected the Juki 2010 for me, but he still made me test drive it. At the time he first saw the machine, I wasn't even considering getting it. Since he's my OSMG, he's always interested in testing out new machines and talking about the insides with the sales people.

He fell in love with the Juki2010, and for 6 months he kept raving about how much he liked the machine. So when I decided I'd like to use a dedicated straight stitch machine, that is the one I test drove and fell in love with. I have over 100 vintage straight stitch machines, but really wanted a knee lift presser foot. And I've come to love the always down needle, and the thread cutter. I probably put over 20 hours on the machine a week, and have had it near a year now.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:21 AM

Default A sewing machine or a quilting machine.

Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
Hello everyone, I would like to purchase a sit down sewing and quilting machine for my wife .She has started back making quilts again. What is everyone using and what would be a good unit to start out with?Thanks for your help
I can't figure out what you want. A sewing machine you sat down to and can piece a quilt top and quilt a small size top. It's a lot harder on larger quilts, so you need to look at how big the harp of the machine is.
A Quilting machine is one that you stitch the top, batting and backing together. They make a set down mid arm and a long arm is a stand up.
Sounds like you need to take your wife to the store and see what she wants or put a picture and check in the gift box.
Someone said that it's a woman hobby, but I have seen lots of men at my quilt classes. And they seem to be better than lots of ladies.
Hope you both have a Merry Christmas and good luck on your choice.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:57 AM

Default Good for you Welshman!!

I am sew glad to see a husband wanting to surprize his wife!! as for an answer, I would go janome or baby lock. But, one of the most important points is not the name of the machine, it is how close are you to a dealer? Is there classes given with the purchase? I hate traveling an hour to the nearest dealer, I would switch brands just to be closer. Please, go discuss your surprize with the owner of a fabric shop that is close by. God Bless you! Merry Christmas!!
Old 11-30-2016, 07:37 AM

How about a gift card to purchase a machine of her choice? If enough money is placed onto this gift card, she will find just what she's looking for, depending on what she's needing it for.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:46 AM

I have some experience with the Juki. It's a powerful machine, only does straight stitch. Make sure your wife understands that.
The biggest drawback to this machine is that the bobbin is hard to put in and out and the threading isn't as easy as it could be. I have the brother version of this machine (Juki is better) and advised a friend when buying a machine and she got a Juki. I worked with her for several days getting her up to speed, so I saw the problems she encountered.

http://www.13spools.com/2014/06/a-qu...juki-2010.html

You can't go wrong with the Juki if youre looking for a straight stitch only machine at a reasonable price.

This machine was one of my final two when I bought my Janome 6600. My mechanic who repairs all, recommended the Janome. He was working in a store that sold both. I do have to say the Janome is a very easy machine to use. Easy to thread, isn't fussy about thread (tension), bobbin much easier to access, very very nice for FMQ (free motion quilting). The Juki is much cheaper and has a slightly bigger throat. Bernina much more expensive. You get more bang for your buck with Janome than Bernina.

Many machines will sew leather if you put a leather needle on. My 80s basic singer machine sews leather just fine.

Good luck and have fun! Who knows, you may get the quilting but as well as the leather bug!
Old 11-30-2016, 10:47 AM

OOPs the link I gave you was to a review of the Juki machine.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

My DH thinks a sewing machine is a sewing machine and a big one will sew faster. If this is what you know about sewing machine then don't pick out one for her unless she has no clue either. LOL