Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weighted blankets >

Weighted blankets

Weighted blankets

Old 09-07-2018, 03:18 PM

I birthed mine, so no binding. By the time the last row was stitched, I just really wanted to be done.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:21 AM

I've made only one, for my grandson to take to college.

The sandwich consists of five layers in this order- top- batting- two of muslin- back (flannel). The pellets are between the muslin layers. It is assembled and and stitched into columns leaving one end open for filling. There's 12lbs of pellets divided into what is 99 pockets- 9 wide, 11lengthwise. Fill with weight for each pocket, stitch across, fill for next row- stitch, repeat until finished. Close top and bind.

The muslin layers allows for quilting of the top three pieces. Add second muslin piece and back, sew columns, fill and finish. Filling between the muslin pieces insures the pellets don't have any seams to get caught on as you fill.
Attached Thumbnails seahawk-480x640-.jpg  

Last edited by oldmanquilts; 09-08-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 AM

Default Nice!

Wow! Great job. I bet he finds it comforting. Thanks for the photo... I can see the answer to my question. Looks like you did a binding on it as well!
McDarla

Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
I've made only one, for my grandson to take to college.

The sandwich consists of five layers in this order- top- batting- two of muslin- back (flannel). The pellets are between the muslin layers. It is assembled and and stitched into columns leaving one end open for filling. There's 12lbs of pellets divided into what is 99 pockets- 9 wide, 11lengthwise. Fill with weight for each pocket, stitch across, fill for next row- stitch, repeat until finished. Close top and bind.

The muslin layers allows for quilting of the top three pieces. Add second muslin piece and back, sew columns, fill and finish. Filling between the muslin pieces insures the pellets don't have any seams to get caught on as you fill.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I ended up with a lot of lead aprons at my house from DD who seemed to change her mind a lot about what pattern she liked when working with heart patients and since moved on to another field. I gave one to a family whose child was autistic and the mother said it was a game changer for them. It is heavy but not pressing. I offered to make a pretty case for it but she said no it was easy to clean and was smooth which was a texture her child liked.