Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Medical Centers that do Dialysis and/or Infusions >
  • Medical Centers that do Dialysis and/or Infusions

• Medical Centers that do Dialysis and/or Infusions

Old 10-27-2018, 02:16 PM

Donations would have to be given to the individual patients to keep. Passing blankets from patient to patient would be a health hazard. Maybe some facilities can put them through a hospital grade laundry, but if they aren't providing blankets, they probably don't have a laundry. When I was accompanying a family member for chemo last year, they provided blankets that were kept in a warmer. The nurses gave us the idea of putting a blanket over the chair and then several blankets on top of her. Kept her cozy as could be. The blankets were placed in a laundry container when we were leaving. Through out the day we see the laundry staff collect the used blankets for cleaning.
    Old 10-28-2018, 03:06 AM

My husband has monthly infusions for his arthritis. The facility where he has his done has heated blankets, Netflix on the tv, soda in the fridge and treats to pick from...I ask him if this is the day he goes for his "spa" treatment...LOL

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Neither I nor a close relative have had any of these treatments - but I keep reading about how cold the patients get while being treated -

Do these centers have blankets for the patients? If not, it seems odd to me that keeping the patient warm and comfortable is not taken into consideration.

I understand that having one's very own blanket/cover/quilt is comforting - but if one did not bring one's own cover/blanket/quilt - what do the patients do for warmth?
    Old 10-29-2018, 05:23 AM
    Power Poster

I'm a nurse and never took as much as a stick of gum from anyone- Wow! Can't believe that nurse took a quilt.
    Old 11-04-2018, 04:31 PM

My aunt (RIP) went to dialysis, I asked if they accepted donations. They told me no. I was very surprised and disappointed. I made a few walker bags for some of the patients there when she was going, they have all since passed on. Those patients were so delighted that someone thought of them to send them something. I wouldn't have blinked an eye to have sent donation lap quilts for the patients there.