Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Walking foot question >
  • Walking foot question

• Walking foot question

Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder
    Make sure you have the correct size needle in your machine. Your needle could be dull if it has been used a lot. Clean out all the lint, make sure the bobbin is in correctly too. My neighbor and I were sewing together yesterday, her machine started messing up, we did all the above and it's working perfectly now.
    I picked up a variety of needles that I had seen recommended for quilting. I'm currently using an 80/14 topstitch and it seems to be doing just fine. I also cleaned out all the lint that I could get to before starting this project.
    Old 03-21-2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by klswift
    I believe that after you have started using a walking foot, you will wonder why you didn't get one a long time before! I find that I use my foot other than just on a quilt. I think (but not sure) I would give up a zipper foot before I give up my walking foot.
    We'll find out soon enough, lol! I just picked up the walking foot along with a couple of guides (because for my machine they are left/right specific). Going to grab some lunch and then put this puppy on the machine and get back to quilting.
    Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 AM

yup agree w/all above...can't live w/o my walking foot...I have one for all of my machines...Vintage Singers, New Singers, Husq Vikings. First thing I search out when I pick up a machine. I found by not having one and trying to quilt I'd get fabric bunch up on the back and then I'd have to pull out stitching ...once I got that walking foot no more issue.
    I use it for binding, applique, quilting line by line or echo's anything layered.
    Old 03-21-2019, 04:16 PM

Well, folks, everyone's advice was excellent! I picked up my walking foot this AM and started using it soon thereafter. OMG! What an improvement! My stitch length consistency is greatly improved. I think the biggest thing I need to be mindful of at this point is my stitching speed to really have the perfect consistency. Well, as perfect as any of can be that is, lol. Thank you all again. As always, great advice here and greatly appreciated.
    Old 03-22-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    I am just beginning to machine quilt. So far I have only done hand quilting. But the need to get things completed in a more timely manner has driven me to machine quilting.

Currently I'm doing echo, straight line quilting on my DSM with a regular foot. Don't own a walking foot at this point. Tension is fine but I'm noticing that my stitch length is not consistent. Is this simply a product of my pulling/pushing the sandwich?? I suppose I should try some gloves to help move the fabric more gently/consistently??

Or do I need to bite the bullet and invest in a walking foot for my machine?

Any/all thoughts/comments welcome. Thanks.
    Buy a good Walking Foot for your machine. and buy one for every machine you have. They are worth the money.
    Old 04-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Is a walking foot the same as the Bernina dual feed?
    Old 04-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    Well, folks, everyone's advice was excellent! I picked up my walking foot this AM and started using it soon thereafter. OMG! What an improvement! My stitch length consistency is greatly improved. I think the biggest thing I need to be mindful of at this point is my stitching speed to really have the perfect consistency. Well, as perfect as any of can be that is, lol. Thank you all again. As always, great advice here and greatly appreciated.
    Now that you have a walking foot, perhaps check out the book titled "WALK, Master Machine Quilting with Your Walking Foot". I picked up a copy a while ago and wow, talk about all the different things you can do with the walking foot. Have fun!
    Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by lolagrace
    Now that you have a walking foot, perhaps check out the book titled "WALK, Master Machine Quilting with Your Walking Foot". I picked up a copy a while ago and wow, talk about all the different things you can do with the walking foot. Have fun!
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to check it out. So far I have completed one throw size quilt and am well on my way to finishing up a twin size quilt. These are all sampler style quilts so doing different quilting motifs in each block which is a bit time consuming. Might do something different on the next one. Have about 5-7 total to complete. And I had the bright idea in the last couple of days to hopefully complete all of these before end of June so they can be gifted to the nephews during summer vacation. Yikes!
    Old 04-13-2019, 02:55 AM

NJ, I was happy to read your current posts that you are having much success with your new walking foot. It’s one of those things where you might say “how did I live without it?” Happy quilting, Joanne