Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Cooking and sewing are luxury skills?? >
  • Cooking and sewing are luxury skills??

• Cooking and sewing are luxury skills??

Old 11-19-2019, 11:51 PM

I know some people that live off of fast food and prepared meals but to call cooking a luxury? Home cooked food is so tasty and better for you. It is nice to have food made to your preferences. It is sad when people brag about not being able to cook. Nowadays, you can learn from YouTube videos to make any sort of dish. My DH and I only go out for foods that aren’t easy to make at home or for special occasions. We like the variety and quality we can have at home and use our entertainment spending in other ways, ahem, fabric.

Sewing in itself isn’t a luxury, making repairs or simple practical things. I love making quilts and I do think they are a luxury in a way but so important as a creative way to show care. They last longer too being made out of better fabric.
    Old 11-20-2019, 02:35 AM

Unfortunately there is a whole generation maybe two generations by now out there who don't know how to sew, quilt, cook, or do any of what we call basics of life. They were never taught, did not learn from their parents, and those "life skills" were removed from the schools many years ago. My daughter is in her late forties and she learned to cook at home and is an excellent cook. Home Ec or life skills classes were not available at her high school. I have cousins whose children in their twenties do not cook, except for the "ready to eat" type stuff you find in grocery stores or take out. Again they simply don't know how and have no desire to learn.
    Just look at the ready to eat "quick and easy" items in the grocery store. I won't describe all of them, but the latest thing I noticed were packaged peeled hard boiled eggs! Really! I kind of imagined people running into a grocery to grab some lunch or a quick dinner, but I think I am wrong on that assumption. I kinda think there are people who just don't know how to begin to boil an egg.
    My 10 year old grandaughter knows how to cook thanks to her mom and me, she loves it Now. But in a few years who knows. She may be one in a hundred that actually knows how to make a pizza from scratch and more importantly knows it is better for her body than the take out or frozen versions.
    I am 70 and beginning to realize that I am "out of touch" with the younger generations. And that is ok. I will leave them to it. As for quilting, I look at it more as hobby/creative way of expression than a life skill. Although those buttons will continue to pop off, seams and tears will rip in clothes and I don't know how they deal with it now other than throw away and buy new.
    Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Murphy224
    Although those buttons will continue to pop off, seams and tears will rip in clothes and I don't know how they deal with it now other than throw away and buy new.
    We and much of the developed world have become throw away societies. Very sad really. It isn't just clothes either.