Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OMG Janome prices going up >

OMG Janome prices going up

OMG Janome prices going up

Old 08-19-2021, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Interesting fact: So many people believe Janome means New Home in Japanese. I was told that by a dealer. But it's not true.

The name "Janome" literally means "snake's eye" and was taken from the appearance of the current bobbin design at the time of brand establishment in 1935 when the round bobbin system was the more advanced technology replacing the traditional long shuttle type. As the new round bobbin looked like a snake's eye, Janome was chosen as the company's name.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Of course, companies would have to buy land, build factories, hire people at $15/hr, plus vacation, sick leave, 401k, etc. to do this. It's not an overnight solution. It's been decades moving things offshore; it would take decades to reverse the process (and the product cost will be higher because of the cost to manufacture here).
How refreshing to read a sensible informed post. I hope the latest information on international shipping costs doesn’t trigger another panic buying/hoarding situation.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

The ones that are prepared have bought over time and have enough, don't need to panic buy and be out in the crowds. Our washing machine discharge hose split this morning of all things. Thank goodness my husband keeps spares of things like this.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:51 AM

sighhh....I remodeled my kitchen about 20 years ago....and bought all new appliances....I did replace my frig...just before the first shutdown cuz it was making strange noises....I did get an insta pot but have yet to use it because I figure if the stove and microwave go down, I could use that. The washer and dryer are still functioning good....but....I have considered ordering them now just in case.....but....I maybe moving into senior living before they actually break...so I have been dragging my feet....well...the old clothes lines are still in the unfinished basement so I guess I go those if the dryer goes. If the washer goes...I am toast. Furnace and AC are about 9 years old....
oh...I am not totally dragging my feet....I have not 1, not 2, but 3 sewing machines less than two years old....and stash and thread for years.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:57 AM

I just got under the wire, purchased my Janome 6700 P a week or so ago..they told me how much it woud be this coming week..ouch!! I love the machine...happy I got it before it went up...
Old 08-19-2021, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

If the washer goes...

I remember my mother washing clothes in the kitchen sink using a plunger to agitate. It was too cold on the back porch to use the wringer washing machine. We lived very rural with well water going to kitchen and the one bathroom. There wasn't a coin laundry in town either. There were several washerwomen who took in laundry, all widows now that I think about it. Eventually the house was plumbed when the main water line came to our property.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:04 AM

we had those old wringer washers too all my siblings but me got their arms caught at lest once we all were told how to push the release button. we would hang the clothes out as long as we could get to lines out back when it was cold enough, we would carry the freeze dried clothes back in, when they thawed they were ready for ironing
Old 08-19-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The ones that are prepared have bought over time and have enough, don't need to panic buy and be out in the crowds. Our washing machine discharge hose split this morning of all things. Thank goodness my husband keeps spares of things like this.
Not everyone has the privilege to to stock up. Lots of people are living pay check to pay check for items the need. They are lucky to get enough to live in until next payday, never mind save for a rainy day. I hope that people will be sensible and not clear the shelves like they did at the beginning of Covid.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Not everyone has the privilege to to stock up. Lots of people are living pay check to pay check for items the need. They are lucky to get enough to live in until next payday, never mind save for a rainy day.

Been in that situation before. I vowed never to be that broke again. It's certainly stressful.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
I am more concerned about the price increases of our everyday needs......food, gas, medicines, toiletries, etc. than I am about the price of sewing machines. While the prices of the big things are important, more so are the items we need every day. Have you priced milk, bread, eggs, poultry, meats, produce lately? What is the price of gas in your area? The prices are much higher than this time last year, and most of those products are produced in the USA.
I am afraid we are in for some rough times.
Part of this is due to the ongoing drought in the cattle.producing regions of the US west and southwest. I am.sure many members here can attest to the environmental stressors they are facing in those parts of the country. No water, no agriculture. The rising prices are just basic economics.

​​​​​​I had to get milk yesterday from my corner shop and watched a woman standing in the parking lot complaining about gas prices and unemployment. The irony (lost on her) was the shop had a "help wanted" sign in the window. Think it was $15 per hour.