Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My blocks are too wonky! >

My blocks are too wonky!

My blocks are too wonky!

Old 02-24-2022, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am wondering if your machine might be part of the problem. My machines are all " older " - so this may or may not be an issue with newer machines - but the lower layer( next to the feed dogs) would get " pulled" through at a faster rate than the top layer. There is an attachment available for many machines that minimizes this - and at the moment I am unable to think of what it is called.
My machine is a Janome, fairly new at 10 years, but I have noticed this quirk since the beginning. I read somewhere that this is a problem with most machines and it's just something we have to learn to live with. Only way to get around it would be to use the big clunky quilting foot which really isn't a good option. I'm going to see if I can find more about the attachment you are referring to.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:01 AM

Thank you so much for all of your hints, suggestions and encouragement. My needle doesn't move over a click or two, I sure wish it did, that would help in making that scant quarter. What I really wish is for there to be an adjustable 1/4" foot (though it would no longer be called a 1/4" foot), one that could be adjusted from maybe 1/8" to 1" and the guide part of it would be a couple inches longer in length. I also would like it to be clear instead of metal. (Yeah, I'm probably asking for too much.) I find when I get to to the end of the seam I'm stitching I can no longer see if the seam edge is lying against the guide or not so for about 5 stitches it's as if I'm sewing blindfolded so that tends to make the end a bit wonky. If it were clear this wouldn't be a problem.

My wing clipper came yesterday and I love, love, love it, so easy to cut to the right size. I did put some Transpore tape on the bottom so it wouldn't slip. I made another practice quilt and am happy to say this one came out much better, an almost perfect 6 1/2", unlike yesterdays which was a good 1/8" short in spots. I'm attaching a picture, in reality it's not as wonky as it looks. Except for the top two points, one a little too big, the other a little too little. Overall I'm feeling much better about my flying geese.

Now I have to clean up my sewing area and get started on my quilt.

Attached Thumbnails sawtooth.jpg  
Old 02-24-2022, 08:40 AM

Your block looks pretty good to me. One thing that could help with the wonkiness is to be sure you have cut your fabric on the straight of grain. Especially all your triangles. That gives the outside of each piece a tighter edge and less waviness. It takes practice to get things perfect, and I am far from that point myself, but you will get there in time. Good work!
Old 02-24-2022, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Block looks good.

Whe.n pressing, be sure all the pleats/ creases/ folds along the seam lines are removed.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:04 PM

As EasyPeezy suggests, I use a quarter inch foot and move my needle a bit to give me that scant quarter inch.

However, what I find that helps the most is to nest closed seam allowances, using a glue stick to make sure they stay in place. Press. Then stitch baste about a half inch before and after those crossed seam allowances. I check to make sure they're good, then permanent stitch. If the basting stitches don't show, I don't take them out. It does take time, but for me it's actually a shortcut, and I'm happier with the results.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
My machine is a Janome, fairly new at 10 years, but I have noticed this quirk since the beginning. I read somewhere that this is a problem with most machines and it's just something we have to learn to live with. Only way to get around it would be to use the big clunky quilting foot which really isn't a good option. I'm going to see if I can find more about the attachment you are referring to.
This is indeed a problem with most machines, but we do not just have to live with it, nor purchase expensive equipment to mitigate it.

Janet Pray teaches a method called taut sewing that is used in the garment industry. She illustrates it in this video about 5 minutes in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5mATpe5HmRE&t=202.

I have been using this technique in my garment sewing for years now, including a French jacket, a silk mother of the bride gown etc.

It’s certainly very easy and effective sewing straight edges of quilting cotton!

Hope that this combined with the other wonderful suggestions on this thread will be helpful to you.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:22 AM

your second star looks spot-on to me!
Old 02-25-2022, 04:38 AM

We are our own worst critics. I struggle with matching up the seams too. My friend always told me that to cut 1/4" bigger so it gives you room to sew your seam. Also,to line up the the seams with a straight pins with the seams open so they can align better. In the end, all will have many suggestions that work well. While you are frustrated at the misalignment, don't let it take the joy out of your craft. Can't wait to see your final project. The fabric is very pretty!
Old 02-25-2022, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

As long as I have the 1/4 inch from each point I don't worry about the rest. Believe me no one notices if a block is wonky once quilted in a quilt but the cut off points will show like a beacon.