Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feel like I'm going to be sick... >

Feel like I'm going to be sick...

Feel like I'm going to be sick...

Old 06-29-2023, 03:20 AM

You do know that people will ask anything, don't you? In your first post you commented that you aren't certain that your grandmother made the quilt, just assuming. Unless you really want to do these repairs, it is ok to form the word "no". Did she offer to pay you for these repairs, return postage, your time, etc etc?
It seems this woman wants the quilt to use again, not necessarily for the monetary value. But once a quilt has been repaired, it does lose monetary value. It no longer was constructed at its original date.
Sometimes the beauty of a vintage quilt is in noticing that it has been used and loved over the years and then is put aside from daily use and simply appreciated.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:23 AM

You stated you feel like you're going to be sick, an aunt called you out of the blue, you haven't spoken to them in 13 years, plus the package came to you without being packaged properly. Do not feel obligated to mend this quilt for them. Send it back and tell them it's not something you can do. They can find a quilt store where they live and ask for recommendations for someone local. My guess they have already done that and found out it would be very expense to mend it. What if the quilt starts to fall apart when you try to fix it up. You'll have an even bigger problem on your hands.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:59 AM

I'm going to suggest treading carefully here!

Repairing quilts is not easy, especially when the person requesting it be done has no idea what is involved. It's pretty difficult to get them to look anything like the original quilt. There are tricks and techniques, but those can be both complicated and expensive. A layer of tulle, for example, or shopping vintage fabrics to find ones that replicate those that are damaged. Or looking for new fabrics that would look as if they were vintage. Then the actual repair work begins.

What, exactly, is this person, with whom you are not close, expecting? To be able to fold it put it away? To fold it carefully so that the damaged/repaired sections do not show? Or to actually use it somewhere?

It just sounds like a lot of work and pressure to do something that may well not make this individual happy in the end, and as it's not someone you've had a relationship with, is it worth the stress?
Old 06-29-2023, 06:40 PM

Do what your mind and body are telling you is the right thing to do for YOU. It will also be the fight thing for your Aunt.