Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scraps and old age >
  • Scraps and old age

• Scraps and old age

Old 12-11-2023, 04:20 AM

I'm with Dunster and Sewingpup, I LOVE my scraps. I have stopped adding to my scrap stash by picking up leftover fabrics when at guild or classes when I teach. I just finished two throw sized scrappy quilts with more ideas floating around in my head. Good thing there are those who like to get rid of scraps and those of us who like acquiring them. Life has something for everyone.
    Old 12-11-2023, 04:47 AM
    Power Poster

My scrap bins are just my scraps. I don't collect them. I don't have a stash although I have a
    few projects waiting to be worked on. I keep all scraps but periodically get rid of the tiny ones. I do love a scrappy quilt. The beauty of our craft is that there is something for everyone.
    Old 12-11-2023, 04:49 AM

I participate with a group of sewers that make quick inexpensive quilts for the homeless, heart pillows for breast cancer patients and other small items used by our hospital . One of their side projects is making rugs from fabric scraps that are then sold at craft shows as a fund raiser to purchase batting and stuffing for the pillows. I have started donating 2.5 wide strips for the rugs as a way to clear away my odd jelly roll strips and make strips of any fabric that falls into the "Ugly" fabric category. I just want to get the unused out the door so it will be used by someone.

Another place to connect to people who use fabric is colleges/universities that have a fashion design department. They can use your non-quilting fabric but also from time to time students will make community donation items with quilting fabric.

Old 12-11-2023, 05:02 AM

Unfortunately our LQS is closing in a few days. They have been having a sale, at 75% off so of course I've participated in that. I have more fabric then I will ever need or use. I need to get rid of the scraps I have to make room for all the fabric I purchased. After reading this thread I feel like I can actually let the scraps go and you have all given me good ideas as to where I can donate them. This will be my project for the next few days. Thank you all for your great ideas.
    Old 12-11-2023, 05:26 AM

Well, I guess I am the opposite. I was not a scrap saver at all. Plus, mostly I buy blues or aquas. Then, I wanted to make my first scrappy quilt of red roses and green background blocks. I literally bought my 1st fat quarters ever in reds and greens. Also 1/4 yard cuts. I didn't know that I love scrappy! So, now I am saving scraps that I need to organize. Sorting by colors does not work because of the multi-color prints, so I sort by size of my hand: bigger or smaller!
    Here's the culprit!
    Attached Thumbnails roses1.jpg  
    Old 12-11-2023, 06:13 AM

Love your quilt, Aashley! And it doesn't look like a ton of matching, either.

hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 12-11-2023, 06:19 AM

I heartily agree with you. Age creeps up on us and I totally get what you are saying. I would like to sell some of my "stash" but am leary of doing that. I have one niece who is in to quilt so she may get a gift.
    Old 12-11-2023, 06:44 AM

One of the most liberating things I have done is give away my scraps on the free table. For a while I was cutting every scrap down to 5, 2 1/2, 2, and 1 1/2 squares. I don't keep strips. I have enough. Whether someone picks them up for their scrap stash or not, I'm free to create with the wonderful other fabrics in my stash.
    Old 12-11-2023, 07:11 AM

While I keep my scraps, what I do not hardly ever buy is precut fabrics. I find I don't use jelly rolls, layer cakes, charm squares or any of that sort of thing. I will occasionally buy fat quarters if I have a project in mind or need a bit of specific color. I no longer cut my scraps until I need them, and I do sort them by color. Those that are multicolored or large print are in a bag of their own. Those I actually may use in an "I spy" quilt. Most recently, I was using my scraps to make that "temperature quilt". It is easy to set up a stitching station using my travel machine and I can cut away and make the blocks while watching TV.
    Old 12-11-2023, 08:51 AM

Onebyone, it sounds like you made the right decision for you. Nothing about our quilting life should be burdensome to us.