Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting mat? >

Cutting mat?

Cutting mat?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewgray
My 10 year plus Olfa mat has never stunk, but I had a June Taylor and they really dull your blades fast.
When I changed rotary cutter brands in hopes of improving my cutting skills, I noticed that what I thought was wrong with June Taylor mats didn't seem to be a problem for me any longer. That mat does seem to have a harder surface and when I was applying extra pressure than necessary to get a good roll from the cutter the blades didn't last as long. With an easier roll accomplished with less pressure I'm pretty sure I like the harder surface better now....but, I'm still looking for a mat that I can honestly LOVE. Btw, my cutting has improved...now I need to find a way to measure consistently...lol...it's always sumpin', ain't it? smile
Old 01-09-2010, 12:01 PM

No problems with any of the mats I have..Olfa or otherwise. I haven't had them stink HOWEVER, I would caution you putting mats out in the sun. I know they do have a big problem warping if they are left in a car.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 PM

I got a large (2' x 3') Fiskars mat at Wal-Mart for about $25 I think and didn't notice any odor issues with it. I love it.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM

I purchased an omnigrid mat over the holidays and it did stink out of the plastic wrap. I just checked it and it doesn't have the nasty odor it had before.
Carol
Old 01-09-2010, 03:55 PM

I have a large olfa mat that I love. When I first bought it it smelled a little but eventually went away. I have bought other mats that smell so bad they gave me a headache :thumbdown:
Old 01-09-2010, 04:08 PM

The only mats I've ever bought were not in any type of packaging, so I've never noticed a smell. I have heard of them having an odor before, but I'm not sure if it's just one of those things that take time to get better.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:52 PM

My mom got me a june tailor and i've never noticed a smell.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM

I had purchased a fiskars folding mat so I could bring it to classes. When I got it home it smelled like a skunk!. I tried wiping it with vinegar, setting in the sun outside - the smell would not leave. I returned it to the store and they gave me my money back. Whenever I go back to this store, I still see a few on the shelf - and they all still smell!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 PM

I bought one a couple of years ago and it stunk so bad, I had to pull over to the side of the road and put it in the trunk. It took about a week and the smell faded. I thought they all stunk until aired. I find the white ones don't work very well so I just deal with the odor until it goes away...and it will.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM

Could there be something wrong with it that you could return it? I have never noticed a smell and I own 3 mats.