Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any thoughts on batting for a hand quilter? >
  • Any thoughts on batting for a hand quilter?

• Any thoughts on batting for a hand quilter?

Old 03-13-2010, 09:26 AM
    Dix

Originally Posted by harryb1834
    Does anyone have a favorite type of batting? I am lost when it comes to picking one?
    I started hand quilting with Hobbs 80-20 and really liked it. I have tried many others and love the wool. Depends on who it is for. Way to hot for Oklahoma. Daughter lives in Branson, MO and she love it in her trailer and house. Right now I am doing a queen size with Bamboo batting. I like it, but not sure it is worth the price. Love the Dream for wall hangings. I think everyone has thier favorite. The girl who long arms for me uses the Hobbs 80-20.
    Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM

I have used wool a lot and never had a shrinking problem. Before I started using it I contacted everyone I could that manufactured and/or sold the wool batting. Got a lot of information. If ever in doubt, call or contact the folks who make it, they are more than happy to help out.
    Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Here is some info on all types of batts. The one and only time I used wool. It quilted great. But when washed even if laid flat it did shrink up a little. Just makes the quilt look older. But it did shrink, maybe just a little more than cotton, which is usually 3-5%http://quilting.suite101.com/article..._quilt_batting
    Old 03-13-2010, 01:18 PM

Well,Harry, I have been quilting for some 40 odd years.I started by pulling my cotton with the old timey hand bats.I have always been on a very limited budget. Enough back ground huh? I find that Wal Mart battings,I think it is Fairfield but now sure in the high loft as I like that effect, alos Poly Not cotton or wool. works best for me and the look that I like. You will just have to experiment and find the one that you like the best for your hand. Jolo
    Old 03-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Does anyone have a favorite type of batting? I am lost when it comes to picking one?
    That was recently addressed at one of our quilt guild meetings. The presenter prefers to use polyester batting when she's hand quilting and uses warm and natural when she is machine quilting. She says both high and low loft are fine and a matter of preference.

In my chapter, I am the ONLY odd ball who uses polyester and until that meeting they were trying hard to convince me that I should be using warm and natural or at least a 100% cotton batting. Several are now working with the new battings that have come out this past year and love them. I prefer a puffy look with my quilts so I use polyester but I sure can see where machine quilting on warm and natural would be a whole lot easier than using the polyester batting.

After you review what is said here, please share what you've decided to use. A lot of it honestly is personal preference and what each individual prefers to work with.
    Patty
    Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 PM

I like to use Hobbs cotton.
    Old 03-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Could someone elaborate on the issue of wool batting with regard to washing? Do you soak wool batting before using it? What happens if you wash a quilt that has wool batting?

Thanks!
    Old 03-13-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
    Here is some info on all types of batts. The one and only time I used wool. It quilted great. But when washed even if laid flat it did shrink up a little. Just makes the quilt look older. But it did shrink, maybe just a little more than cotton, which is usually 3-5%http://quilting.suite101.com/article..._quilt_batting
    Wow...lots of info in this article. I am now leaning toward cotton.
    Old 03-13-2010, 03:10 PM

I find easiest is Thermore I think that's how you spell it. VERY THIN but very warm. I only hand quilt and there's nothing like it. W & N is very heavy and if you are doing a queen size you'll never stand up straight again
    Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM
    Power Poster

I appreciate all the replies. I am keeping a little running total of all the answers in the comments. It looks like I wasn't the only one who was confused with all the choices.
    Thank you,
    Harry

So far...
    Wool +4
    low loft poly +4
    Quilters dream +3
    Warm and Nat +2 and -3 (that's 3 negative comments too) so it's a negative 1.
    Silk +1
    Hobbs Tuscany cotton +1
    I only use Warm and Natural and I only hand quilt. I love it. The wool sounds nice but I am allergic.