Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I crazy to cut all my fabrics into scraps? >

Am I crazy to cut all my fabrics into scraps?

Am I crazy to cut all my fabrics into scraps?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
anything smaller than a fq i cut up into what i consider usable pieces...is: 2" squares, charms, strips, i have a tote with stacks of 2" strips, 2 1/2" squares, 3" squares, 4 1/2" ,5", 6" and 9" (9's are the biggest i consider)...it is nice to when i need a particular size being able to open the tote and pick up a big stack of just the right size (scraps). so, i don't think your crazy...or maybe we all are a little bit :)
I agree, cut the smaller pieces.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 AM

some days when I'm not doing a quilt and I am waiting for inspiration, I take my odd pieces of material and cut them into squares, circles (for yo yos). I have palastic shoe boxes marked with 2 1/2 to 41/2 squares. I take all my scraps and use them for something. I even take what's left and make leaves that I applique onto borders. then what's left. I am saving to stuff my dogs pillow with. I'm old enough to remember when you didn't waste a thing. I was doing this yesterday and when I walked thru the house, my DH asked me what I was doing , and I said, I was being a cutup.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by cyniree
Save them and use for bigger piecing. Do you applique?
I am just starting to ... actually this is true I may need bigger pieces for this ... hmmm maybe it would be best to just leave them whole, but at least put them in my scrap buckets so I can see them when I need them ....

Rachel
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Hello, Hello, friend after my own heart

If I were you I would cut them up. I have a box of 5 inch square that I add or use from all the time. It.s a lot of fun to make a Drunkard's Path by taking one square of print, then a square of plain for the other corner, sew it together at the curve, trim the print from the back and toss the cut out piece in another box for a smaller block of Drunkard's path. I've done this for years. I also make 9 patches, table runners, jackets, you name it, a 5 inch scrap goes a long way.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43422.jpe  
Old 04-03-2010, 09:56 AM

rachel ebay has some i have brought some in batches or mix bag,s or box,es ,but they do sell them in different squares sizes
Old 04-03-2010, 10:20 AM

I have a scrap stash but I mostly leave fabric larger pieces as you never know what new technique you'll find.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Fabric police do not exist (at least the last time I looked). So, you have the freedom to do what you want to do...have fun with whatever you decide.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:33 PM

I would just sew the stripes together and then make a square block or a rectangle block, then join them in reverse order, colors don't have to match if it's a scrappy look. Doesn't matter that the strips are not the same width.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by athenagwis
I love love love scraps. My quilt store has a bucket of scraps that I like to go diving in every so often. I wish there were more online stores that sold just scraps because whenever I get a piece of fabric that is big as a 1/8th, I have a hard time considering that a scrap. I love it when I get a pile of scraps from someone and I look through them and see all the fun fabrics I never would have thought to buy! I just recently sorted my scraps by color and they look so purty!! (I am sorely lacking in greens and purples though!)

Anyway, so my question is this …. I have all these pieces of fabric that are like 1/8 strips to fat quarters and I keep them separate from my scraps. There aren’t enough of those that really match to make a quilt out of, but I have a hard time considering them scraps. So what would you do if you were me? I am considering just chopping them up into smaller pieces and using them as scraps because if I keep them whole I know I won’t use them. But I feel like if I do this then I will want bigger pieces to use one day. Argh!!!! I am having such a hard time with this!

Cheers!
Rachel
you could use the bigger pieces for backing. Penny
Old 04-04-2010, 07:07 AM

A good source for scrap quilts is quiltville.com
All patterns are free.