Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HUGE Ironing board >

HUGE Ironing board

HUGE Ironing board

Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

I have the 24" x 60" that I can use on my ironing board or remove it if I need to iron a shirt.

I was thinking I may "NEED" a BIGGER board for ironing a quilt top without moving it too much.

BIGGER like a Table (3x5 sounds/looks right) Thanks for showing picture. I even thought of something like a Ping Pong table...got a very old one of those I could remake into an ironing board.

Hmmm....another project in my head :(
Old 05-27-2010, 03:46 AM

I have a question. My brother made me one out of some wood that was left over from another project. I have some 80/20 batting, would that be ok to use do you think? Or should I bite the bullet go get some 100% cotton batting? I don't have wool blankets we are allergic to wool.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:41 AM

Right click on picture you sent.
Save to My Pictures as ironing board
Go to My pictures and right click on "ironing board"
Open with Paint
View, Rotate until you get it the way you want it
Save

Rotated picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74137[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74132.jpe  
Old 05-27-2010, 05:38 AM

Great board!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
On my wish list too....I use the kichen table with towels, lol!
When I was on retreat in April, they had taken an old kitchen table, screwed a piece of wood under the opening for inserting the leaf so it would not open. They might have removed a section down the center of the table to reduce the width and secured both halves under the table with piece of wood and possibly glue. It was then covered with a piece of plywood covered with several layers of batting and a couple of layers of muslin. The plywood was screwed to the table top from under the table. The table was placed on bed risers. It worked great and was very stable. Another piece of plywood could be place on top and it would be a cutting/craft table and would keep the ironing surface clean when not being used for ironing.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Google Goddess

post a picture when you get your ironing board done

Originally Posted by Barbm
Waiting for hubby to go away this week end. Going to build my own. I have the "parts" just have to assemble. Going to put it on 2 cabinets so I have more storage.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I found a very firm non giving ironing surface is best for pressing quilt blocks. If the surface sinks in the fabric will conform to the shape of the surface no matter how slight. I use a a 14 x 14 3/4" plywood board, with one thin layer of cotton batting, covered in cotton duck canvas to use to press quilt blocks and pieces. It's easy to remove the staples and recover when needed.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Google Goddess

I love seeing ideas for ironing boards!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 AM

Great ideas for making your own ironing board. Where do you get the wool blankets? Think Army Surplus would have those?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 AM

Where do you get cotton duck canvas? I've never heard of it. Also, I have a really, really nice, huge table that I use partly for cutting (with a mat on top, of course.) I want to make a pressing board on it as well. If I use what you are using, will this protect my table underneath? Or should I use something that "blocks" the steam from hitting the table? Right now, I just have a small pressing mat on it that I use, but the steam has already hit the table and taken some of the finish off. Thanks, Sarah in Northern CA

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I found a very firm non giving ironing surface is best for pressing quilt blocks. If the surface sinks in the fabric will conform to the shape of the surface no matter how slight. I use a a 14 x 14 3/4" plywood board, with one thin layer of cotton batting, covered in cotton duck canvas to use to press quilt blocks and pieces. It's easy to remove the staples and recover when needed.