Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe? >

Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 AM

I've not used a kit because I like the whole creative process...design, choice of fabric, changing mind midstream LOL, letting the fabric 'speak' to you.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 AM

List it on here if it has all of the fabric needed. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean someone else wont. Then you could recoup most of the funds that you used and you can buy something that you really like. Just a thought :)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Don't usually get kits because it makes me feel too restricted. I like to improvise as I go and many of my fabrics are scrappy looking. Plus it is hard for me to plunk down the prices for many kits. I know that I will eventually end up spending that and maybe more to put a quilt together, just paying it all upfront doesn't make sense to me if I later change my mind about making the quilt.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I love quilt kits. I have many from Connecting Threads. And if there is a problem Connecting Threads will solve it.

I have never liked the Turning 20 or Take Five type quilts. I haven't seen any fabric look good in those patterns. Try a different pattern and fill in with a coordinating fabric. Warm Wishes or DNP would show case the theme fabric and look great.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM

I think the key is in seeing the finished version of the kit before buying it.

However, I have bought kits befrore but did not use them as intended, I mixed them with fabrics I had to create my own design. I have trouble sticking with a pattern :)
Old 06-21-2010, 09:59 AM

I love kits. I've gotten 2 from Hancokc-paducah and a few from a couple LQS. I check them at the shop before I leave. I have the shop person go thru it with me so I know how much of what goes where. And as far as mail order, I check as soon as I get them. Only had one prob at LQS and since we went thru it together she added the missing and I was on my way!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM

I've done a kit from Connecting Threads and just loved it. I had so much "extra" fabric that I was able to use some as the full background on an appliqued crib quilt. Now THAT'S extra fabric. It was generous on all the colors.

I've done a quilt kit BOM from Joanns, and was a bit disappointed in the quality of the fabric. I had also been told that sometimes they missed a piece and that it was hard to get the same fabric, so I bought an extra setting package. Sure enough, I was short two pieces but was able to use some of the setting kit to fill in what I needed. Let me also add that this was an older kit, on clearance, and I got most of the months and the setting kits for about $1 - $3 each, so it was a great deal. It was for a queen sized quilt, which I turned into four lap quilts for soldiers using fabric from the extra setting kit. I'd probably never do a Joanns kit again, but would do a Connecting Threads kit (on sale of course).
Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mms61371
I purchased a quilt kit for my grandson from my LQS. The fabrics looked adorable, they were cowboy themed. I have had it for about 2 weeks now. I washed the fabrics, ironed them, and cut them out using the "Take 5" pattern. As I was hanging them on the design wall when I realized I did not like the fabric at all. They may have looked good folded together, but on the wall it looked horrible. I call my DD over to let her take a look just to see if I was being over critical. My DD took one look at it and said the same thing I had been thinking all along. I am really upset with myself. I am on a very tight budget and the fabric costs $65.00 for the kit not including the pattern which was $8.00. This was the first time I purchased a quilt kit, I'm not sure I will do it again. Has anyone else ever been in this situation? Now I am back searching for new fabric and a new pattern. This is going to take a lot longer than I thought.

Thank you for reading (listening) , I just needed to vent. :cry:
Just a thought--is there a particular fabric you don't like? Would you be able to replace just one or two of the fabrics and still keep what drew you to it in the first place?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:03 PM

I have been burned by kits, including a block-of-the-month package

mostly I buy the pattern and then pick fabrics, but lately I've been using the "MUCH more fabric" theory for my scrappy style quilts

gotta love a diverse stash
Old 06-21-2010, 03:09 PM

I've had good kits and bad kits. Some the fabric shrunk so much that there wasn't enough, others were more than generous. Some the fabrics had been changed out, some not. I usually do my own thing and pick all my own fabrics, but once in awhile a kit will looks so good (and I'm not feeling creative at the time), I have to do it. Hopefully just one fabric change will help you pull this one back to something you like.