Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who makes landscape quilts? Let's Chit Chat!!! >

Who makes landscape quilts? Let's Chit Chat!!!

Who makes landscape quilts? Let's Chit Chat!!!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Oh janice4, the mountains of Colorado is where my heart lies but I love your interpretation of these mountains wherever they are located. Congrats.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Oh janice4, the mountains of Colorado is where my heart lies but I love your interpretation of these mountains wherever they are located. Congrats.
thank you this is yosemite ;)>. my first trip was there last year .
Old 10-15-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by msariano
I'm trying to make one. It has a sun and a pieced sky. Getting the yellows and blues to blend is hard and I have to go buy more medium blues. After I get the sky pieced (it is in diamonds) I'll put pine trees in--may do it by raw edge applique on the machine. It is a simple view but very hard to do if you don't have the right colors. I'm a traditional piecer but thought I'd try a simple (!!) landscape.
sounds good start out simple;)> love to see it ;)
Old 10-15-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by grammo013
I haven't done one yet but collecting fabric for the pattern that I bought the first week I started quilting. It is the reason I started quilting but haven't been brave enough yet.

I need more batiks for it. It is one of the famous water falls in the mnts.
just go for it ... that is the best way . what is the worse that can happen?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by janice4
I'm trying to make one. It has a sun and a pieced sky. Getting the yellows and blues to blend is hard and I have to go buy more medium blues. After I get the sky pieced (it is in diamonds) I'll put pine trees in--may do it by raw edge applique on the machine. It is a simple view but very hard to do if you don't have the right colors. I'm a traditional piecer but thought I'd try a simple (!!) landscape.
Oh yes, starting simple is the best advice. How about a really simple one like my first one! photo attached. I did everything wrong. Did not have anyone to ask how to do it, used way too heavy of materials and batting and did not even know how to meander nor stipple. I just sewed across everything. But it made me smile, gave me accomplishment, it was made around Halloween and it hangs on my bulletin board today. It still makes me smile and like that one leaf, I am still hanging on to life the best I can. Good luck, Janice4.

MY FIRST ONE EVER.................
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115407[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115402.jpe  
Old 10-15-2010, 06:35 PM

Another great book on subject is 'Points of View', by Valerie Hearder. There are lots of photos on web to inspire you. I've made a couple of small ones and they are lots of fun....I even did a postcard size one showing an Arkansas mountainside with fall leaves, horses, etc....for my brother as a "thank you " gift.
I don't have any pictures....
Old 10-16-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I am thinking of getting this book, click on the black arrow to the right to see inside of this book, interesting!

http://www.amazon.com/Landscape-Quil...der_0848724836
I have both the book & cd, great teaching tools, well worth the money. Watch her site for sales thats when I got mine.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 AM

Pokey on Quilting Arts had a guest quilter last weekend that did wonderful landscapes, sure wish I would have gotton her name.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:21 AM

I have done one and am going to do another it is FUN !!!!
Great job, I think it came out very nice.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Oh yes, starting simple is the best advice. How about a really simple one like my first one! photo attached. I did everything wrong. Did not have anyone to ask how to do it, used way too heavy of materials and batting and did not even know how to meander nor stipple. I just sewed across everything. But it made me smile, gave me accomplishment, it was made around Halloween and it hangs on my bulletin board today. It still makes me smile and like that one leaf, I am still hanging on to life the best I can. Good luck, Janice4.
I love it ;)>. my first is my avatar.. I am going to start another today...I like the lines you did on the background ;)

ps looked at your profile and saw the barbie dresses too and other quilts beautiful work you do.