Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you take your needle and thread for granted? Not a joke >

Do you take your needle and thread for granted? Not a joke

Do you take your needle and thread for granted? Not a joke

Old 07-05-2010, 09:14 AM

I keep a small sewing kit in my purse at all times. Always pack one in my luggage for traveling too(I don't take a purse on vacation).
Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 AM

Gave both my sons one. Oldest has used it to sew on buttons, and also asked me if I could give him some brown thread, he wears a lot of brown, gosh I guess he doesn't know there is a store.lolol. Youngest son is into wood working and he has used his needles to help burn a pattern into the wood, and asked for more needles.

Gave all three of my nieces a full sewing (embroidery) kits, with a nice basket and an assortment of white muslin, all the different colors of embroidery thread some iron on patterns, needles scissors, and so on. My oldest niece asked how to use the paper patterns, and I told her, and she said they didn't have an iron. They used the stuff a whole summer, and I don't think they have touched it since.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 AM

I carry a small sewing case in my bag, just for emergencies. There have been times I have been without it. Not anymore though. I guess if a person is not around sewing at all or brought up with it, then they may not have needles and thread in their house.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 AM

My problem is more along the line of not having the right COLOR of thread. At the office, everybody knows that I will have thread in my desk drawer. The problem there is to get people to return the needles so that I have them also. I finally gave the front office a small sewing kit so there are now at least two places people can go for needle and thread.

All my brothers were taught to sew at least buttons on which has come in handy.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 AM

Same here. am always stunned when asking someone to measure for something and there is no measuring tape!! how on earth can someone not have a measuring tape?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 AM

I keep a sewing kit at my desk, I sew during my lunch hour and when I don't have any work. I get a lot of things done at work.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 AM

I very seldom leave home without. In my bag is a small kit with needle, thread, scissors & safety pins. I would feel naked without it.
neece :roll:
Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 AM

I have to laugh at this one. We went to SD to see my son and his family over the weekend. Of course I took a tote bag full of quilting "stuff". My husband gave me all kinds of heck for taking it. We were out looking at RV's and he took a great big step to get in to one of them and ripped the crotch right out of his pants. LMAO!!!! He ran to get back in the jeep. He asked me if I had a needle and thread. Of course I did and I made him sew it up himself. My quilting obsession saved the day.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM

I don't think I've ever been without one. My mom and grandma always carried a small sewing kit in their purses and I picked up the tradition. I also have one in the glove box of my car. And if we're going on a trip I pack a more extensive one. Everyone that knows me knows I do this. I've done more emergency sewing in bathrooms than some doctors in ER's. LOL Okay maybe not but it seems like I'm constantly sewing a broken bra strap, a ripped seam, or broken zipper. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've sewn someone into their clothes to get them by until they get home. To me they're far more useful than a Visa so I never leave home without them.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda
We had a neighbor who could mend and you would not be able to tell it was mended.
I think the idea of patchwork is counter-intuitive to mending. In patchwork you want to show the pieces and the colors. It's an art form. In mending, you want to hide the pieces and blend the stitches. I'm not fond of it either.