Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arthritis >

Arthritis

Arthritis

Old 07-24-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by RevPam
I had the basal joints in both thumbs replaced. They use your own tendons, roll them in a ball and recreate a small ball and socket type joint. My mobility is fantastic and I'm so glad I had it done because the pain was excruciating so I can very much sympathize with your pain.
I bought shears and nippers that you squeeze rather than having to put my thumbs into holes.
My surgeon is suggesting this for me. How long was your recovery? Do you have full use of your thumbs now?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by imatopper
Originally Posted by RevPam
I had the basal joints in both thumbs replaced. They use your own tendons, roll them in a ball and recreate a small ball and socket type joint. My mobility is fantastic and I'm so glad I had it done because the pain was excruciating so I can very much sympathize with your pain.
I bought shears and nippers that you squeeze rather than having to put my thumbs into holes.
My surgeon is suggesting this for me. How long was your recovery? Do you have full use of your thumbs now?
It probably took four months for each thumb to feel like I was getting somewhere. But even over time I have improved and am able to touch the base of my little finger on both hands (a feat the doctor said would probably not happen.) I am very glad I had it done (which the ortho doctor insisted I have it done before my double knee replacement so that I would be able to use a walker!) I do have an auto-immune cartilage disease.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I have arthritis in my hands and just keep doing things as I've always done them. I had made and quilted 2 quilts in amonth and had to buy a new wedding band as the back of my 2nd knuckle had swollen so bad I couldn't get old ring off. New ring was 2 sizes bigger. Not swollen as it never went to original size.
I guess mine aren't to bad yet or I wouldn't be able to still use my hands. Summer is worse for me.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 PM

I have arthritis in both hands as well as carpal tunnel with trigger fingers which makes for great difficulty in using my hands. I had joint replacement for my left thumb (joint arthroplasty) last September (because my thumb was almost in my wrist). If I knew then what I know now, I would think twice about having the surgery. There are days when it's just as painful as the arthritis was in that joint. So many times the outcome of surgery is dependent upon the surgeon.

Here's what I learned for arthritis -
1. stay away from the nightshade family - tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, and sweet & hot peppers (including paprika, cayenne, and tabasco). I have found when I eat too many tomatoes, my arthritis seems to hurt more.

2.Keep arthritic joints warm, particularly in cold weather.

3. hot/cold water baths -- total time approximately 15 minutes. Hot water for 3 minutes then cold for 1 minute, keep alternating until time is up. Surprisingly this loosens stiff joints.

4. keep moving so your joints stay loose and warm
Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 AM

Have you tried any of the capsaicin or a menthol rub? I was lucky enough to be send to a doctor that has topical medicine. Doc also gave me topical NSAIDS rubs. I have 3 total and they were prescribed by doctor.

Might want to check with your doctor.

Hope you can find some relief. I suffer from carpal tunnel and bone spurs in neck. My hands go numb but hurt like the dickens. That's why I am back to quilting. It's easy enough to leave (when you are in too much pain to even concentrate) and pick up when you are able.

Best of luck to you!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 AM

I too have arthritis in my thumbs, and other places too LOL. I bought an Accuquilt cutter and find it easy to cut patterns now. Also the squeeze type of thread nippers help. Best wishes.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:51 AM

I agree with the ergonomic cutters and handles for your rulers. I also have to change tasks frequently. About 10 minutes is all I can take at a single activity. So, cut a while, sew a while, press a while. Also make sure your cutting and sewing surfaces are a comfortable height so you don't have to stoop or stretch.