Black Walnut Trees

Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM

In Years Past

Only one of many many seasonly trips to the huller.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109098[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109093.jpe  
Old 09-01-2010, 04:11 PM

When I was a kid, we had a black walnut tree. My DM would make fudge with black walnuts....what a treat....the only catch was we had to hull and clean the nuts....It was well worth it! I haven't had any fudge like that since I was a kid but I still remember how good it was! :D :thumbup:
Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

The one across the road from me looks fine, even though I would like to chop it down. Here they are like a noxious weed, I chop them off at the ground all summer long. The squirrels love them!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 AM

We have a neighbor with a beautiful black walnut tree. They are holding their leaves, no turning yellow and lots of nuts. Squirrels love them, hide them all over the neighborhood.

We had a black walnut tree once. Sometimes they don't produce nuts and my husband said "If that tree produces one nut, I'm chopping it down." It did, he did. We have a Ginkgo now. The value of the wood is great. I would save it and have something made out of the wood or have someone make something out of the wood. We have a black walnut rocker from the Amana Colonies and it is gorgeous. Also a small table.

Edie
Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 AM

Don't have a walnut tree, but I have a funny story about one. We were camping in west Michigan a few summers ago. We saw a tree near the campground and didn't know what it was. It had these funny green "pods" on it. Well, my DH picked one, took it back to the campground, and took it apart on the picnic table. Well, we figured out it was a walnut! His fingers were stained dark brown! And it took weeks to wear off!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:08 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

We have one youngish black walnut tree... a squirrel planted it the winter we moved into our house (that will be 20 years this fall)! I pulled it up, thinking that it was a sumac, but when I saw the nut attached, I quickly patted it back into the ground and now it's a medium-sized tree.

Last year its leaves were all galled, and wrinkly-crinkly. This year there's very little problem, if any, with that. Last year there were nuts but I don't see any this year.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
No black walnut trees here but if you ever have an over abundance and want to sell...... My personal favorite is black walnut taffy but most people haven't even heard of it. Is this an Illinois only thing? I've searched in candy stores everywhere we go and never can find any.
No, us Texans like it too. My favorite next to banana.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 AM

If black walnut taffy is an Illinois thing then maybe dark fudge with black walnuts in it is maybe a PA thing???
Originally Posted by raptureready
No black walnut trees here but if you ever have an over abundance and want to sell...... My personal favorite is black walnut taffy but most people haven't even heard of it. Is this an Illinois only thing? I've searched in candy stores everywhere we go and never can find any.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 AM

Something I forgot. We had a baby squirrel that had lost it's mother so we bottle fed it. When it got older I used my daddy's vise to crack open the black waknuts for him That was the fattest little round bellied squirrel you ever saw.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 AM

I remember as a kid my grandfather putting the green walnuts in burlap sacks and having us kids stomp on them, that was a pretty good way to relieve the 'back to school' jitters. Hmm, maybe I should try that now instead of .... well, that's another subject thread :lol: