Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
saving favorite fabric >

saving favorite fabric

saving favorite fabric

Old 09-30-2010, 05:19 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by 3flowers
Oh yes, I am so glad this came up. It's not nice in my family to admit that I 'pet' my fabric. People roll their eyes and laugh. However, I have pieces that I won't cut because the current project will not use up the whole piece and then will I be sorry that I didn't save it for a project that uses the whole thing? And also, what if I use it for this and I will be sorry I didn't save it for that.

For me, it's like eating your cake and having it, too. Such a dilemma when it comes to using your very faves.
You are not alone!!!! We understand completely..
Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TeresaT
Originally Posted by thequilterslink
Oh yes, i have a few pieces i can't bear to cut into, i get them out and pet them once in a while :)
I am so glad I am not the only one who gets fabric out an pets it.
me too
I actually hang fabric I love as though it was a painting.
Have a gorgeous Japanese orange geometric up right now - which I don't believe I'll ever cut.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:48 PM

I just made a Take 5 with some fabric that I bought at a quilt show maybe 5 years ago or longer. It was very hard but I did it. What was leftover went into the scrap box.
It couldn't sit there forever.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Oh, yes, mostly animal prints!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Oh yeah. I wish I could get passed hoarding it. I keep trying to tell myself that I have to use it so I can buy more but then I just buy more anyway. :mrgreen:
Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 PM

I know the feeling I kept the first fat quarter I ever won for years finally used a lttle of it. I am in the process of cleaning and using my stash. Guess what last Sat.I added more and I won't say how much more! :oops:
Old 09-30-2010, 10:50 PM

Isn't this part of being a quilter???lol I go to the store see material I like by some and pretend I don't have any at home to so on. Go home and opps there is my stash !!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 PM

I have some pieces that I am saving and gathering more to make a quilt from, but those I plan to use. I have been sad about some frog fabric, Two pieces of coordinating frogs. I have carried it with me on several moves, while I got rid of a lot of fabric. I made a quilt with them and now when I come across scraps I feel a little sad about it being mostly gone.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 PM

Yes with me it's all my fat Quarters that I just haven't brought myself to cut up yet, maybe some day :D
Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 AM

Yes , I have named mine the Fabric Museum. It has all of the just too beutiful to cut fabrics. On occasion, maybe , a piece will come out and make it to the cut table. Then there is hesitation, a moment of silence ... and a reverent thought that it is sacrificing itself for a worthy quilt.
Yes I have fabrics that may never be quilt worthy! I do let other quilters visit the "museum" and there is always a gasp and many oh.. how beutiful remarks. There have been offers of trade and money offered for me to let some of the pieces go to "other" museums and promises that they will be well cared for....but I can not cut or part with them.
I have come to openly admit at pruchase time that "this is a Museum piece". I guess admitting there is a problem is the first step??!!!!