Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No stash -- on purpose?? >

No stash -- on purpose??

No stash -- on purpose??

Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
Pab...maybe let her know you are always willing to take what's left over from her projects. If you don't want it...you could send it on to someone else.
Hmmmmm....now that's a great idea!!! :D She did give me some miscellaneous goodies a few months ago. Most of it was leftover craft items. She said keep what you want, and give or just throw the rest away. Well, I did keep nearly all of it. I passsed some of it along and still have a few things to purge. I brought her a couple of pieces of fabric for I Spy quilts she is making for one of her sons and a daughter. They are color-specific so it has been difficult to locate enough fabrics to finish them. For example, one son has all greens, another all blues, and another all reds. Her daughter's quilt is to be in all pinks. ;)
Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM

I can't imagine not having a stash.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Cyn

I watched a tv show called Hoarders. It scared me to death because I see myself going that way. I am seriously working to destash now :) Or quit watching tv :)
Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM

I'm willing to help anyone "destash"....of course I'd be adding to mine in the process...hehe
Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks to my mom's stash, I was able to use some scraps she had left over from the baby quilt she made my daugher. I used some of the same fabric in her big girl quilt. No stash? Is that even aloud in quilting? Someone check the rule book, I can't find mine. It's folded up in my stash. :)
Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 PM

I read once that a person who buys fabric for projects is "one who quilts" but a "quilter" is one who buys fabric and decides what shall be done with it later. So--she's "one who quilts." It just doesn't run as strong in her blood. :wink:

I have a best on-line friend who I say is a horsewoman who quilts, while in comparison, I'm a quilter who plays with horses. Can you guess who has more fun with stash? :-D
Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM

I tried to not have one....but with good deals and prices going up, I decided to create more of one so that I can sew from my stash. I also am wanting to do some scrappy quilts and that is hard to do with no stash.

But most of the fabric I have gotten, I have specific uses for. I make quilts for different people in my family and some is going to those. Others is enough for a quilt, just hasn't got a pattern to go with yet.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:34 PM

Question - What would constitute a stash. I always have some fabric here (at least scraps) to work with but I try not to buy things that I will never use. That may be due to the fact that I am about 10 minutes from where I can get just about any fabric I need for quilting at a fairly reasonable price.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:36 PM

I wanted to stand up and say "I am an alcoholic - oooops quilter" Being an addict means that I have to have a stash. It is only a very modest one, but I can play with it, dream of new projects, sometimes just stroke it..... but without it creativity would go away. If that happened, I guess I would just take up another hobby and do that instead.

Collecting fabric is in the blood of every real quilter.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:43 PM

I had planned to quilt like this - only buy the fabric that I need for the next project.

I think I was pretty good for about the first year, but how can you resist a great price on a fabric line that you really love?

After that first Rubbermaid bin, it was all downhill from there. :mrgreen: