Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Muslin backing for log cabin blocks? >

Muslin backing for log cabin blocks?

Muslin backing for log cabin blocks?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I didn't paper piece or use muslin on any of the three log cabin quilts I made. If the blocks aren't perfect when they're done use a big square ruler and square them up.
This is my way, too! However, they're usually pretty decent and only require the normal squaring as per any block.

I wouldn't use any backing...myself :)

Debbie in Austin
Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 AM

I just finished a queen-sized log cabin quilt which I pieced on a stamped muslin foundation. This was easy to sew and very accurate. And because of the extra bulk and weight, I didn't add batting, but simply backed the quilt with a flannel sheet. I also didn't have to hand quilt it very much.

It's not a cuddly quilt; it feels sturdy. At least the flannel back adds coziness.

I prefer the traditional quilt with top, batting, backing and quilting.

Your call!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:08 AM

I've used muslin when I made some curtains for my dining room for Christmas. A few months later I went back to Hancock Fabric to buy more and the sales lady asked me if I knew that if I washed it that it shrinks 1/3 the size! I told her no, I did not know that and then she advised me to purchase the more expensive muslin that does not shrink. Just a little friendly advice :)
Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 AM

I bought some muslin preprinted with the lines for the log cabin blocks. Making these was really easy since the foundation markings meant I could use scraps of various sizes and still be sure they would be right after cutting. I used this for a quilt guild members choice block exchange and gave each person the square of muslin and the center block and told them darks on the one side and lights on the other. I got a lot of variety in the fabrics as a result.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:44 AM

I've never used muslin or paper as foundations for log cabins. Some hints:
1- press and square up the blocks after adding the first 4 strips to the center, and again after the next 4, etc.,
2 - make the last 2 strips (a light and a dark) of each block 1/4" wider than the rest. So if your strips are 3" the last 2 will be c ut 3 1/4 each.
3- after pressing square up the block to it's final size.

Hope this is helpful. May in Jersey
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I didn't paper piece or use muslin on any of the three log cabin quilts I made. If the blocks aren't perfect when they're done use a big square ruler and square them up.
That just what I did! Worked out fine.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by litacats
my first log cabin I did was a quilt as you go using 3 layers. 6 in total to get the layers going. you do have to press as you go but it was so quick even the blocks I put inbetween the log cabins where quilt as you go once you made the strips of blocks it was easy to quilt as you go and it all came to gether very nicely.
Where did you find the pattern for quilt as you go log cabins?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:14 AM

I just learned how to use the muslin for piecing and i have to admit they look much crisper then my others. Though it did take longer to do on the foundation, I really liked what it looked like but I doubt I will ever do a full quilt that way. More time consuming and heavier.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 AM

I don't like the added weight of the muslin foundation. I guess it's one of those personal choice things!!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 AM

I'm doing a log cabin-type, using muslin for the back, but I'm doing it "quilt-as-you-go" method. That's the only way I'd use muslin on the back.