Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter blades >

Rotary cutter blades

Rotary cutter blades

Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned

ok, I have NO HF around me, so have not heard of this great deal until I joined this board...however, I have to ask,, how good are they??

I did learn that harbor freight sells what is known as remills...meaning they buy old used blades and grind them to reuse them..hence the really cheap price,.
SO..how good are they?
How long to they last if you have to keep buying them in bulk?

I use Olfa and prefer them. I clean after each cutting session or hour, which ever comes first...sharpen when I am done with a large project..throw it out after it gets a nick in the blade...but I generally can keep a blade for 2 years!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
ok, I have NO HF around me, so have not heard of this great deal until I joined this board...however, I have to ask,, how good are they??

I did learn that harbor freight sells what is known as remills...meaning they buy old used blades and grind them to reuse them..hence the really cheap price,.
SO..how good are they?
How long to they last if you have to keep buying them in bulk?

I use Olfa and prefer them. I clean after each cutting session or hour, which ever comes first...sharpen when I am done with a large project..throw it out after it gets a nick in the blade...but I generally can keep a blade for 2 years!
Wow, your are good. I have no luck sharpening. I just get rid of them...But, I use them forever until they get a nick also.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Administrator

SO..how good are they?
if they are well sharpened, then i would expect they are just as good as new. as far as i'm concerned, the recycling element makes them even better.

i can't see a difference between resharpening one for 2 years and buying them resharpened. they are no doubt using high-end, professional machines to do it. much better than anything i've been able to find for the average home user. (but i keep looking. :lol: )
Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
SO..how good are they?
if they are well sharpened, then i would expect they are just as good as new. as far as i'm concerned, the recycling element makes them even better.

i can't see a difference between resharpening one for 2 years and buying them resharpened. they are no doubt using high-end, professional machines to do it. much better than anything i've been able to find for the average home user. (but i keep looking. :lol: )
so then you believe that they are of the same quality as a new Olfa blade?

Has anyone used a HF blade for 2 years?

I looked into a professional sharpener, and I will just keep buying blades... :lol:
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Administrator

I looked into a professional sharpener, and I will just keep buying blades... :lol:
i have used several different brands of blade over the years. while i would never say anything against the Olfa brand - because they are just fine in my opinion - they are by no stretch of the imagination superior to anything else on the market. they are merely more expensive.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Banned

i have used several different brands of blade over the years. while i would never say anything against the Olfa brand - because they are just fine in my opinion - they are by no stretch of the imagination superior to anything else on the market. they are merely more expensive.
I have found only one brand that really does not hold up well at all...and another that is so over priced, I refused to buy the cutter...as for olfa being better or not, I just find that I can make them last longer than the others I have used...especially because I cut a lot of ultrasuede and it really can dull a blade quick...
Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Administrator

I have found only one brand that really does not hold up well at all...and another that is so over priced, I refused to buy the cutter...as for olfa being better or not, I just find that I can make them last longer than the others I have used...especially because I cut a lot of ultrasuede and it really can dull a blade quick...
i would never try to change anybody's mind if they have a favorite brand of anything. we all have our preferences, quirks, lines of logic, etc.

if you are happy, then i am happy for you. :-)
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Banned

My apologies if anyone took my comments as being meant to change everyone over to OLFA blades. That was NOT my intention. That was merely me stating facts about what i know about Olfa blades while trying to find out more information on the HF blades.

I am not familiar with this brand of blade, I have no way to test them for myself and since I live in a very rural hard time area I would love to know more about them as they seem pretty well suited for all of the charity groups I work with...

I honestly did not intend to make anyone think that they were using an inferior product, but I was wanting someone to give me an actual fact based insight on just how good these blades are and how well they hold up.

My group that sews for the kids hospice can go through blades like crazy( flannel and fleece are not blade friendly)...and the Sr center that sews good old double knit..yikes...that stuff kills blades....

So you see, what I was trying to get at, was the actual value in these blades..cheaper is not always better in the long run...I wanted to make an informed decision before I invested in ordering these blades...that is all!

Thank you for your kind understanding. :oops:
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 AM

i would never try to change anybody's mind if they have a favorite brand of anything. we all have our preferences, quirks, lines of logic, etc.

if you are happy, then i am happy for you. :-)
well said!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Thank you for your kind understanding. :oops:
We're good.

Group Hugs and Smooches. :-)