Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue? >

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 AM

i agree but i was thinking of doing one to use scraps also the thought of the cutters may be why that is a good question
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 AM

I would think that there are probably several reasons...one may be that they just don't know any better as you suggested. But bear in mind these quilt alongs are generally free. They are written by everyday quilters like you and me, for fun. You're not paying for a pattern so you kind of have to remember they are doing it for the fun of it, they are not professional pattern writers.

I have done a few quilt alongs, tutorials, and given away free patterns for simple quilts on my blog - I am by no means a professional and someone who is more concerned with the frugality of their fabric as well as their time might knit pick at my cutting methods. But it is just something I do for fun, it's a hobby. ;)

Also they may assume that you have enough knowledge to do your own math and figure how many strips of any given fabric you may need to cut 150 2 1/2" by 4 1/2" bricks.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

First tute I've seen in awhile like that. I'm all about quick and easy for the most part.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Most "known" quilters will teach you in their seminars/workshops the technique that works for them. Those techniques are also what they publish in their books because they tell you how they made that particular quilt. They will also tell you to use what ever works for you. Having met Judy Martin I can tell you that she's a very laid back, easy going, wonderful person.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:31 AM
RST

Yup -- Cherry House -- but that's just one of several I've seen.

Not fussy cutting, not scrappy, not using a machine cutter.

But I'm all for building character in the future quilters of America, so rock on with their bad selves.

I just know that I could knock one of those quilt tops out from start to finish in less than 2 hours with strip piecing.

RST
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 AM

Read instructions carefully (maybe several times) and do it YOUR way ....
combine pieces if necessary (i.e. 2 adjoining squares, same color = 1 rectangle)
In any case, is the pattern you have worth the effort?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 AM

Most likely it is because of the new Go Baby. They have a die cut that that is a part of. besides That is how I was taught . Way before the rotery cutter. (lol)!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 AM

Did you leave a comment and ask the person running the tutorial ? I think that's a lot better way to get an answer than asking for pure speculation.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM
RST

No -- I didn't ask that particular blogger, because it's kinda rude. Her quilt, her blog, her tutorial, her way.

It's not an acu-cut quilt. Though I do understand how that works.

I don't plan to make that particular quilt -- I don't follow directions well. I like making my own thing, not following someone else's designs. I like seeing what other people make, as often it will trigger ideas for me, but I don't buy patterns or follow tutorials.

My question was more generalized than that specific Cherry House quilt along -- I see a lot of bloggers who make tutorials and give directions on how to make something, but who apparently don't know a whole lot of different techniques which will make the whole process easier and more accurate. Or maybe they do, and like building character in their following.

That was the essence of my question.

RST
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 AM

I have noticed several patterns lately, and actually made one of them, that had less efficient methods in the directions. I just read it and then changed the methods and order of the steps. But I couldn't figure out why the author wouldn't make it as simple and efficient as possible.

Unless, of course, some pattern writers don't sew, which is entirely possible.