Birthday Swap 2020/2021

Old 05-18-2020, 04:46 PM

OK, here I go swappers.
1. I always cut two extra sets, just in case an envelope gets lost in cyber land or arrives damaged.
2. This is just my personal preference and what works for me. I toss out anything smaller than 2.5. Use them as part of the filler for dog beds that are donated to the ASPCA.
3. I would love a sew-a-along! Mystery or not. It is just a fun way to use up my stash of squares.
4. If newbies need squares for a project or sew-a-long I would be happy send you a couple hundred from collection! Yes, I am serious! That way you won't have to cut up your yardage. Just Private Message me. Happy to share!

Yea, I love group activities, Barb.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:09 PM

This is my first swap, so I don’t have a regular way of doing things. I used mostly FQ for this, thinking we would have 30+ swappers. A FQ will make 56 candy squares. I figured I could find a way to use the other sets. I have several complete sets left over, plus some groups that have less than 50 fabrics because I didn’t use all FQ.

I probably would not participate in a mystery. I must be too much of a control freak. I don’t have a lot of time for quilting, and my make list is very long.

As stated above, I have extra sets if someone needs more squares.

I save anything 1.5” by 2.5” or bigger for my pineapple quilt. I have about half of the blocks made for it. Anything else gets thrown out.

Attached Thumbnails ec28fd36-d2bd-4ab2-8b74-b91e1e771eee.jpeg  
Old 05-19-2020, 05:30 AM

Good morning, all. In answer to your questions, Barb, here goes:
1. Yes, I usually have extra squares because I end up cutting more than I normally need.
2. Sometimes I toss the small pieces out if I don't particularly care for the fabric but most I will hang onto and use for small projects. I may use them for my Bonnie Hunter Wild and Goosey blocks (an ongoing project) or sew them together into new "slabs" of fabric and trim to the size I want.
3.I would definitely join a sew along.
4. For newbies, I can also send along my birthday squares for you early if you wish. Just send me a pm. All my packages are put together anyway except for addresses.

Hope everyone is well and happy today!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:25 AM

I made a couple of extra sets of candies, just because the way I cut the fabric left me with extras. I saved anything larger than 1.5", for a "one day" project, but my girls love playing with those small scraps, so I don't know if I'll ever actually use them! I love sew alongs, but I don't think I'll commit to one this year. I'll be starting homeschooling Katrina in kindergarten this Fall, so my goal is to finish as many quilts as I can before then. I'm very excited at the thought of homeschooling, but I also know it is a lifestyle choice that might take a bit of getting used to. Both my DH and I were homeschooled, and I'm excited to be using the exact same curriculum he used!
Old 05-19-2020, 08:37 AM

I got one more envelope over the weekend.... I'm now up to 22!

4/22 Patrick’s Mom
4/23 - IrishMom
4/25 - DJmat
WendyMcD
4/27 - NZ Quilter
Gaijim
Crispy_Frog
travelinggrandma
MaryGPearce
aborning
Janice McC
4/28 - Wesing
hav4boys
5/1 - Tina3
Lottie
5/7 - Connie
WMUTech
5/10 - MacyBaby
BarberaKibler
5/11 - lum
Rosemary Attaway
5/16 - nurseluanne0308
Old 05-19-2020, 08:44 AM

I'm another that cuts extra - but I also have a tote of 2.5" strips to use for myself if needed.

I consider anything that I can't cut a 1.5x1.5 square out of to be too small.

I've also been collecting 1.5" squares - cutting one when I cut into a new fabric for the first time.

I would not be interested in a quilt along at this time, only because I've already got a project in mind for my candies.
I've done very little quilt making this spring, and I have a gowning list of what I want to get working on. So far I've racked up over 225 hours making masks- so I have been getting a lot of sewing time in, but it's not near as fun and creative as quilting.

Last edited by Macybaby; 05-19-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:26 PM

Hello everyone. Sorry I have not been around. With the pandemic, the state of CA has lost their mind. Work is going crazy trying to get a budget and have Legislative hearings. Hoping it settles down a bit in June. We will see.

Happy belated birthdays to those I missed.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:52 PM

I definitely cut extra candies. I kept one of each for me, but also have some extra packages wrapped up. maybe for the newbies next year! since I started this, I have become addicted to cutting candies and have been cutting like crazy! I didn't realize how many scraps and different fabrics I actually had.
I definitely keep all my scraps and crumbs. I generally only toss out anything less than 1x1 inch. It makes me feel a bit disorganized and my scrap pile grows fast, but I love collecting the "throw aways" from some quilting buddies. I think because my actual yardage stash is so minimal, it helps me to feel like the fabric hoarder that I strive to be! That being said, I'll take anyone's extra scraps!!
I may be interested in a quilt along. I may or may not join in, but I like to follow progress if others are doing it. maybe I would participate. maybe.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:14 PM

Wesing, your blocks! So wonderfully scrappy but they somehow go together so well.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-19-2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-19-2020, 05:49 PM

Barbara - ask us about our fabric and we all talk about it!
When I start to prepare for our swap - I go through all my fabric and start with anything less than a FQ. I cut and cut and cut and make piles. I will then pull out 50+ for each envelope. This will leave me with extras.
When saving and cutting fabric I do not save anything under candy size. I share those with fellow local quilters.
I would love to do a QAL as long as I can see what it will be. I have a difficult time with mystery!