Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today (2017)? >

What are we organizing today (2017)?

What are we organizing today (2017)?

Old 01-27-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanks for that sweet comment, Teen. Not to worry, the stuff won't be left undone, just temporarily re-located while I figure out how to store multiple WIPs in a way that keeps them from becoming UFOs.

Rob
Old 01-27-2018, 05:22 PM

Rob: I'm glad you are planning only a 'temporary' home for those WIPs. . When I get super frustrated with the messes covering surfaces in my sewing area, I just push everything into a tub or a box. Unfortunately, I haven't been good about going back and sorting them out. . Someday.........

Connie
Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 AM

Connie- yes, keeeping it temporary and not turning into yet another UFO storage system will be the key. I always have more than one (non-UFO) project going at a time, but recently I’ve found myself flitting from one to the other without really making serious progress on any of them- and I think it’s because I keep getting distracted by the chaos LOL

Rob
Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I'm almost done sorting triangles., think I an finish it tonight while watching my Sunday night shows. I've been sewing some cut off pairs from someone else's project as leaders and enders. Have over 100 squares from the reds and creams and now on a pretty white and pastel pairing going through the machine. I'm trimming them to the correct size as I work so they will be ready for any project!

Keep up the good work everyone.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:46 PM

I discovered that making mini's makes a mess. Lol! Teeny tiny clippings everywhere. So, yup, vacuuming every day and thank goodness for ziplocks...
Old 01-29-2018, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Triangles sorted, now to find a place for them...have an overhead cabinet I can use for most of them.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:49 PM

I finished the top and sandwich on a quilt and taking to quilter tomorrow....also, finished some mini blocks...so, before I do the binding on quilt I'm picking up tomorrow, I cleaned and vacuumed sewing room, organized my stabilizer/interface inventory (I have a bunch), sorted patterns that were stacked up and put them away in binders, and refilled my spray starch bottle. All scraps organized and cut-up, too. Did a quick inventory on my foundation stash and made a short list...need black, white, and red.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:00 PM

Teen, that's quite a day of organizing. Way to go. Bet you feel great about how it all looks and knowing what you have.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:37 PM

I function better when organized! Lol! Always feels great. My friend quilts and her workspace is a nightmare. I always organize for her while she sits and watches. Ha! I love organizing and would hire myself out if I had the time. But, alas, I'd rather sew.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

I'm of the bad dream category...a step better than nightmare. Underneath it all there is organization, but the day to day stuff just gets outta control...some days too many irons in the fire!

Between some necessary bookwork for our business I have been working on finding homes for the myraid boxes of triangles. I have several of those Sterlite plastic drawers...I emptied out four of them in this sorting process. I've used plastic containers as sorters in these, but they take up more space than I gain. The most useful ones are too tall for the drawer. I decided to make a fabric box to size. Taking a cue from Nancy Zieman's recycling show. I decided to make one similar to this technique using fabric and lining and some stiff interfacing...don't know for sure what it was. I sewed RST and turned the pieces rather than pinking the edge. Then sewed the edges lining sides together on all four corners. The box fits perfectly and have used 1/2 yard of stash fabric. Ready to make more and experimenting with interfacing to see what works best. The size I made I can get two fronts from a half yard of fabric and of course the same with lining fabric.

My finished box is 5 x 5 x 10 inches. I cut:
1 piece each fabric and lining 15 1/2" x 10 1/2"
1 piece each fabric and lining 5 1/2" by 20 1/2"
1 15 x 10 stiff interfacing..I think it's Peltex
1 5 x 20 stiff interfacing.

The next one I'm going to use Decor bond on both fabric and interfacing.

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewi...wing-projects/

See where the gaps are in the box...I put lining sides together and top stitched the edges together to close the box.