Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
OMG - What is with the Post Office lately >

OMG - What is with the Post Office lately

OMG - What is with the Post Office lately

Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 AM

I'm a postmaster of a one person office, and it is confusing to me too!! I reinforce all priority packages because I don't trust the self-seals. In my very dry climate, the sticky dries out, so I tape every closure. If I read my emails correctly, the newer Priority packages (and the padded ones) are only available to business customers, and they have to order them. As a office, I've not yet seen any. Soo, it's understandable that the substitute clerks might not even know about them. The closures on the Priority flat rate envelopes do HAVE to close, but can be reinforced with tape. Please have some sympathy for the P.O. workers - they are indeed making us cut back on all positions, and it means many offices are way understaffed, and there's nothing we can do about it. If someone retires or leaves for any reason, we are not allowed to fill the position. We are expected to do more with less bodies, and little training is given to the "subs" Believe me, we are trying very hard to give good customer service. The flat rate Priority is a good deal.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 AM

They sent back a Birthday card we have mailed to that address,not deliverable.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 AM

My opinion!!! I believe that after reading about all the problems with the PO, that the "game" is - if they give us "joe public" enough trouble, we will demand that they get funding. Viola!!! Today, it is all a "game" and we are the chessmen. My opinion!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Banned

I ship daily and have for 8years now! The rules changing yearly are so annoying that it is making me close my online store this year!

HEre is a link to check out the rules for shipping.
http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm100/dmm100.pdf

Go to page #19 and print off pages 19, 4 & 5! use them as a reference when you come across a clerk who says it can not be more 3/4" thick. That is NOT listed anywhere on the USPS website! First class has to be 3/4" before you can put Delivery confirmation on it, but the flat rate envelopes are supposed to be if it can fit, it ships. And it is recommended that you use one piece of tape across the top!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

Note: Flat Rate prices are available when material is sent in a USPS-produced Flat Rate Envelope or Box. When sealing a Flat Rate Box or Flat Rate Envelope, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container; provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way.

Weight restrictions for domestic Express Mail and Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes are 70 pounds.

Weight restrictions for Priority Mail International are 4 pounds for the Flat Rate Envelopes, Small Flat Rate Box, and DVD Box and Large Video Box; 20 pounds for the Medium Flat Rate Boxes and the Large Flat Rate Box.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned

as for the international, that clerk was stupid!
The long forms are only for packages that are A- going to a military base, or B- over 4 pounds!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM

Selling alot on ebay so use PayPal or USPS everyday. Live in a small town and it is so nice to walk in and just set the packes on the counter and walk out the door. Using Priority Mail on line gives you tracking automatically, 19¢ fee, this is wonderful. Just make sure you have a reliable scale to weigh things you send parcel post or first class. International can be problematic with the customs form be patient and remember that each item must be calculated for weight that totals your overall weight. Anyway just had to put my 2¢ in on this topic.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 AM

And the Post Offices wonder why they are going BROKE!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 AM

I have had nothing but problems with the Post Office also. Not to your extent, but never the same rules. I mailed a 3lb. book for $3.35 media mail, but an 8 oz book cost me $7.45 to the same address, media mail. What's with that?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 AM

I found out 10 50 flat rate box can be replaced by using a similar box that says mailing box on it for 5 dollars and some change...the nice old lady waiting on me told me. so i took quilt out and put it in new box almost same size for half price....something to ask about.................