Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oh no - binding! >
  • Oh no - binding!

• Oh no - binding!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 AM

You will be proud of yourself and your project if you tackle this. It really is my favorite part of a quilt. I find it relaxing and I hope you get to that point in your quilting with your confidence.
    Good Luck I know you can do it.
    Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    I watched the tutorial and I'm sure the tool is helpful - but it is really enabling you to do the exact same thing as this one:

http://www.moosequilts.com/BindingTutorialWeb.pdf

If you skip to Step 13 in that guide, you will see pretty much the same thing as the video. And it's free!
    I agree! And step 16 is important--don't trim your diagonal seam until you know it is not twisted. Ask me how I know that! I seem to twist it every time, but I am a pretty good quilt binder following these directions.
    Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    I watched the tutorial and I'm sure the tool is helpful - but it is really enabling you to do the exact same thing as this one:

http://www.moosequilts.com/BindingTutorialWeb.pdf

If you skip to Step 13 in that guide, you will see pretty much the same thing as the video. And it's free!
    I agree, this is very good. And you can print it off and take it to your sewing machine if you need to. I have to review it when it's been a while between quilt bindings.
    Old 03-31-2011, 04:39 AM

What a wonderful group - I cannot believe how much help and support one gets by just asking a question. thanks
    Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 AM

I used to feel that way too, but the more I do it, the better I get. This one helped me so much. I still had to practice of course, but my last 3 quilts I have got the binding right on the first try! :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Trk6J2Vw
    Old 03-31-2011, 05:03 AM

I have used the process described by Heather Bailey in her tutorial at the following link: heatherbaileydesign.com/HB_QuiltBinding.pdf and it has made the process so much easier. I've looked at other tutorials but this one made the most sense to me - sometimes I don't "get it" from some directions!
    Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 AM

most fabric is at least 42 inches. I figure its 40. I measure the quilt down all sides and multiply it by 40and about 15 inches extra and I always have enough to go around. Hope this helps. The ending of it I do kan ankle 45 finish. To learn that it took Practice, practice, practice on that one!!! lol
    Need to be sewing!!
    simple quilter
    Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 AM

if you cut a 2 1/2 inch strip, when you pull it to the back (or front) whichever you chose to do) you can 'stitch in the ditch' from the top and catch the binding in the back. So...no handsewing. I prefer to cut a strip 2 1/4 wide and do the handstitching...it makes for a very tight, nice-looking binding.
    Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 AM

I watched a tut eon you tube. There are a couple of good ones. I have never had a problem with binding but man do I feel that my last one is a huge improvement in my last one. I recommend watching a couple of different ones and you will find one that will just start looking easier for you.
    Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    I'm in danger of finishing a quilt - this hasn't happened for a long time :) But I see my least favourite task rapidly approaching: the binding. I usually do double binding, stitched to the right side and finished on the back.
    Two problems that always stress me:first, how wide a strip to cut? This quilt is 60in square. Then, worst moment of all, finishing it off. I see those two ends getting closer and closer to each other and the panic rises. I always end up bodging them together, having got in a terrible tangle over which sides go together, 45 degree angles etc etc. Can anyone describe to me how to do it, or recommend a good and vey clear tutorial?
    I do the 'double' bind - machine quilt to the front & blind hand stitch to the back. If I can find a good color match I use quilt binding (cotton blend type) that I buy in the store. It is usually cut on a bias, & makes a smoother edge (prevents puckering) I think.

Have a blessed day :-D