Hi I'm Michael from North Grafton, MA >

Hi I'm Michael from North Grafton, MA

Hi I'm Michael from North Grafton, MA

Old 04-13-2011, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 AM

Hi Suebee,

There are ways of sharpening or should I perhaps say touching up your scissors at home. Please remember that the proper way is sending them to a professional sharpener, one who has the proper equipment to sharpen them at the precise angles that the manufacturer recommends. Here are the instructions for home sharpening

SCISSORMAN, LLC
WWW.SCISSORMANUSA.COM

HOW TO SHARPEN YOUR SCISSORS AT HOME

The Fast Way
Use glass to sharpen your scissors. Find an inexpensive glass cup; one that you don't want to use again. Open your scissors and run them along the edge of the cut. Alternately, use a glass bottle and work the scissors against the neck of it, as if you were trying to cut off the top of it. Repeat until your scissors are as sharp as you would like them.

Sharpen your scissors on aluminum foil. This works best on craft or fabric shears. Simply cut through one or more sheets of aluminum foil to sharpen them. Use heavy-duty aluminum foil for best results.

Cut through sandpaper. The courser the grain of paper the better (220 to 80 grit). Cut through the sandpaper several times to sharpen your scissors. Afterward, be sure to rinse of your blades as the sandpaper will leave residue.

The Best Way
1. Lubricate the whetstone with the proper lubricant (oil for oilstones, otherwise water) which you can purchase from a hardware store.
2. Place the whetstone on a flat and level surface.
3. Holding the scissors open, and maintaining an angle to the flat, interior surface that matches the existing angle, slide scissor blade along the whetstone, away from its interior surface.
o Or, if you can't determine the angle, go with something like 75°-80°. Remember that the same concerns that exist when picking a knife angle exist: smaller angles are sharper, but won't stay that way as long.
4. Check occasionally to see if you you can feel a burr. When you can, repeat step 3 with the other blade.
o A burr is a feature that you can feel scraping/catching on your thumb if you stroke away (dull side of the scissor blade to the sharp) from the edge.
5. Lay the interior face of the first blade on the whetstone, and give it strokes towards the edge. This is to remove the burr.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 AM

No problem at home. I'm home for the next 4 to 6 weeks in a non-weight bearing cast. I'm recovering from foot surgery so these posts help relieve my boredom
Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

welcome!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 AM

Welcome Michael, from WV. My worst problem with scissors is finding where I left all of them last.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:06 AM

Beth,

I've tried it a few times. I used to represent a company called Bramson House. They are a commercial quilter for the hospitality industry (Hotels), and they still do some
outline quilting. I remember that they used to use high speed Singer 241 and 251 machines to do their quilting. When I would visit them, one of their stitchers taught me how to quilt.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 AM

Hi Murphy,

You can try the old sandpaper trick. Using 220 to 80 grit sandpaper cut through the paper several times. If this doesn't work, it's time to send them to a professional sharpener.
You might consider purchasing a rotary cutter with a pinking or a wave blade such as the KAI 45MM Rotary Cutter. KAI's blades are made of very sharp high tungsten steel. I sure that the other major rotary manufacturers also offer these same blades too, and you can purchase them at a number of retailers . I know first hand that sales of pinking shears are down considerably due to the popularity rotary cutters.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Scissorman
Hi Suebee,

There are ways of sharpening or should I perhaps say touching up your scissors at home. Please remember that the proper way is sending them to a professional sharpener, one who has the proper equipment to sharpen them at the precise angles that the manufacturer recommends. Here are the instructions for home sharpening

SCISSORMAN, LLC
WWW.SCISSORMANUSA.COM

HOW TO SHARPEN YOUR SCISSORS AT HOME

The Fast Way
Use glass to sharpen your scissors. Find an inexpensive glass cup; one that you don't want to use again. Open your scissors and run them along the edge of the cut. Alternately, use a glass bottle and work the scissors against the neck of it, as if you were trying to cut off the top of it. Repeat until your scissors are as sharp as you would like them.

Sharpen your scissors on aluminum foil. This works best on craft or fabric shears. Simply cut through one or more sheets of aluminum foil to sharpen them. Use heavy-duty aluminum foil for best results.

Cut through sandpaper. The courser the grain of paper the better (220 to 80 grit). Cut through the sandpaper several times to sharpen your scissors. Afterward, be sure to rinse of your blades as the sandpaper will leave residue.

The Best Way
1. Lubricate the whetstone with the proper lubricant (oil for oilstones, otherwise water) which you can purchase from a hardware store.
2. Place the whetstone on a flat and level surface.
3. Holding the scissors open, and maintaining an angle to the flat, interior surface that matches the existing angle, slide scissor blade along the whetstone, away from its interior surface.
o Or, if you can't determine the angle, go with something like 75°-80°. Remember that the same concerns that exist when picking a knife angle exist: smaller angles are sharper, but won't stay that way as long.
4. Check occasionally to see if you you can feel a burr. When you can, repeat step 3 with the other blade.
o A burr is a feature that you can feel scraping/catching on your thumb if you stroke away (dull side of the scissor blade to the sharp) from the edge.
5. Lay the interior face of the first blade on the whetstone, and give it strokes towards the edge. This is to remove the burr.
Thank you very much....I think I WILL take them in to be done.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Welcome Michael...from middle Nebraska! I am sure we will all be watching for your scissor advice! Nice of you to offer!