Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now what do I do with this roll of scrappy border? >

Now what do I do with this roll of scrappy border?

Now what do I do with this roll of scrappy border?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 AM

I've never done one of those before, Do you just sew the scraps to the roll of adding machine paper? and then just trim it to the width of the roll? What if your scrap is wider then the roll, how do you trim it?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 AM

How did you trim to the width of the roll of paper? What if your fabric was larger, how did you trim it to fit?

Roz
Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 AM

That really looks cool. I'm going to keep saving my scraps to give that a try. I really like that look..
Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Toni-in-Texas
I don't wet the whole piece of paper when I'm removing it, but I take a q-tip and dip it in water and run it along the stitching. I do about a foot square area at a time and then it has time enough to soak in. Paper pulls off easily.
Great suggestion...I'll try this when I get around to using my own adding machine strips.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Joselake
How did you trim to the width of the roll of paper? What if your fabric was larger, how did you trim it to fit?

Roz
The fabric scraps were most often larger than the edges of the paper, so that is why I felt like I had to sew the edges down.

After finishing a couple of feet, I sewed the edges down using about 1/8" seam from the edge--sewing from the paper side, and then trimmed the edges by just using scissors and trimming evenly with the paper.

It is the "perfect" border of this quilt. I'll try to get it done quickly...just have company here. I really am pleased. It won't be the last one I do!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Toni-in-Texas
With scraps, you have all kinds of bias edges and the paper acts as a stabilizer. Otherwise you'd get really wonky fabric. Ask my how I know. LOL
Very true...I have done many scrappy squares, but this is a border of wonky pieces. I can't imagine trying to do a 3 or 2.5" border of weird shaped scraps without a stabilizer.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 PM

I really like how you pieced this scappy border, it has a lot of interest to it. Can hardly wait to see it finished.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 PM

I wanted to suggest something--but you already have sewn the pieced border on. I thought if you were going to have other borders on each side of this pieced one, you could first sew
borders on the strip piecing, then treat this whole unit as
one border. easier to handle a stretchy border if it is "held down" by outside borders. then you can miter or square
the corners or put cornerstones in. I do a lot of my borders like this so you only have to sew onto the quilt once.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
I wanted to suggest something--but you already have sewn the pieced border on. I thought if you were going to have other borders on each side of this pieced one, you could first sew
borders on the strip piecing, then treat this whole unit as
one border. easier to handle a stretchy border if it is "held down" by outside borders. then you can miter or square
the corners or put cornerstones in. I do a lot of my borders like this so you only have to sew onto the quilt once.
At this point it wasn't stretchy at all because I left the paper on...so now I just have to get the paper off which is going to be very messy!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Power Poster

It's getting suspenseful...I'm looking forward to seeing the border on the quilt!