Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone know about sheep? >

Does anyone know about sheep?

Does anyone know about sheep?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wholehog
Hopefuly, your 4-H club will assign a Junior Leader for your son. This is an older 4-H member experienced with the project (in this case, a lamb) and able to teach younger members what they need to know. For the first year, I would expect this Jr. Leader to visit at least once a week with your son. This can be a phone call, or a meeting at the barn, leaning over the fence looking and talking about the animal. Expect this Jr. leader to work with your son to train the lamb, also.

In addition to all the tips already mentioned; make sure you attend ALL the meetings. There will be a wealth of information provided. Sometimes, there's so much that the younger members can't remember/understand all of it. It's less confusing if you or your husband attend with him so two of you are getting the needed information.

Good luck! 4-H is a wonderful organization.
Thanks everyone for your advice. We finally heard back from the 4H leader who suggested DS start by working on catching his sheep and handling it. So on Tuesday, that's where we'll start.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Originally Posted by wholehog
Hopefuly, your 4-H club will assign a Junior Leader for your son. This is an older 4-H member experienced with the project (in this case, a lamb) and able to teach younger members what they need to know. For the first year, I would expect this Jr. Leader to visit at least once a week with your son. This can be a phone call, or a meeting at the barn, leaning over the fence looking and talking about the animal. Expect this Jr. leader to work with your son to train the lamb, also.

In addition to all the tips already mentioned; make sure you attend ALL the meetings. There will be a wealth of information provided. Sometimes, there's so much that the younger members can't remember/understand all of it. It's less confusing if you or your husband attend with him so two of you are getting the needed information.

Good luck! 4-H is a wonderful organization.
Thanks everyone for your advice. We finally heard back from the 4H leader who suggested DS start by working on catching his sheep and handling it. So on Tuesday, that's where we'll start.
get some vanilla wafers to use as treats makes it easier to work with them if they like you
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Lots of good info already. I took sheep to the fair several years. Being the lambs are being raised in a coop, it's great that there will be someone overseeing the project. The suggestion of a Jr. Leader as a mentor is great. Most 4-Her's are willing to share their experience. When I trained the lambs, it was all hands on. When my daughter took lambs, halters were just starting to be used. I would start with a halter just for control. You need to find out how the majority show their lambs. One valuable thing to learn is the proper way to set up the lamb. Leg position, head position, how to move around the lamb when the judge is looking at the lamb. There are a lot of hands on stuff even though you show with a halter.

Oh there is a lot more I could share. The main thing is to ENJOY!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM

I think it is so wonderful that your son will have this opportunity. I really have no knowledge as far as raising sheep, but when we were in New Zealand in February, we went to the Agrodome and I got close up and personal with 13 breeds of sheep. Some get sooo big!

Tell your son good luck and have fun!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I know virgin wool comes from ugly sheep. :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD:
:XD: :XD: :XD: I needed that laugh after a hard day. TY, TY, TY