Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing/Ironing, Ironing Boards and Covers!! >

Pressing/Ironing, Ironing Boards and Covers!!

Pressing/Ironing, Ironing Boards and Covers!!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by heronlady
I bought a 2'x4' table in the camping dept of K-Mart. Legs are adjustable to three heights, but the best part is it folds up to 2' square and about 4" thick, even has a handle on it. DH cut a plywood board to fit the top and I covered it with batting and the silvery ironing fabric. The entire set-up can be stored in a closet when company comes, and the table can be taken on picnics, etc. I iron everything on this table--haven't used my traditional ironing board for years (but still have it). I can put the table (without the ironing top on it) next to my sewing desk for more support when quilting anything large.
Welcome from St. Clair Shores, MI. You've already made yourself at home. You'll fit right in nicely. :)
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by JustJill
Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I made my ironing board for my sewing studio out of a used, no longer wanted kitchen utility cabinet. you know the kind that sits in the middle of the room for you to chop on. well the top has two fold up sides that give me a nice square table to iron on, and when not needed fold down, and the bonus is I have a drawer and 3 wire baskets to put 'stuff' in like a pressing cloth, a pair of scissors and I hang my start bottles on the wire baskets. on the wood top, I put a piece of heavy aluminum foil and then a piece of the ironing board cover with padding attached that I purchased from my local Joanns. cut to size and hemed. I love my little table that is also on wheels and moves around the room as needed. But the cover is from Joanns, sold by the yard....so you can get whatever size you need and has the padding already quilted on.
This reminds me of something I just saw in the most recent Fingerhut catalog that came to the house. They sell an ironing table much like the one you've described. As I recall it's wooden, on wheels, with 2 fold-down sides and 3 wicker baskets in the middle for storage. I can't vouch for how it works, but I am giving some thought to purchasing one. It looks like the perfect solution for someone like me, whose sewing room is about the size of a postage stamp. :)
I don't think you will be sorry, as long as it has a good solid wood surface. you could even make seperate covered boards for on top.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 AM

Where can you find the silvery material?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Hancock's has a similar cover minus the organizer. It runs about $15.00. I use my 40% coupons and always have an extra one on hand. This is in reply to the link showing an ironing board cover with with grid markings.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by beksclen
Where can you find the silvery material?
at a Joann store for sure, either with the padding or without. It is in what is called the utility fabric area....same place as heavy duck fabric and pillow ticking.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:33 AM

If I ever get off this bd today I am to make the silver shiny kind for my washing machine. Seen in magazine so did one while in Fl. Cost $15. to make 2. One side is well padded other single shiny stuff --I like the height and easy for small stuff. I put magnets to hold edges down then flip over on the dryer when laundry time. Have 2 other ironing bds if doing large pieces. to each his own but I am short of space in both homes.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 AM

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 AM

You actually want the pieces to not slide as that increases the risk of distortion.

I have mine covered with the silver stuff, but will be removing it when I find the cotton duck fabric that I have stashed somewhere. Aside from being slipperier, it doesn't allow the fabric to dry as easily when you are steaming it.

Also - you don't want too much padding - the harder the board, the better the seams will press.

Cheers, K
Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Sharon Schamber recommends a hard ironing surface. She has a Youtube video on how to make this type of ironing board (would work for a large board as well as the small one she demonstrates). Here is a link to her video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGbXou_u4c
I made one of these with the muslin as the top and cotton batting under. It is 24 X 48 and I use it on my cutting table for ironing material and seams.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Sharon Schamber recommends a hard ironing surface. She has a Youtube video on how to make this type of ironing board (would work for a large board as well as the small one she demonstrates). Here is a link to her video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGbXou_u4c
I really liked this video. Thank you for sharing. I have never seen her things on YouTube, but they seem good.