Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Singer School Machines >
  • Singer School Machines

• Singer School Machines

Old 05-20-2011, 05:59 AM

My first machine 12 years ago was actually one of those machines. It was great---sturdy and reliable. Then, when I got into quilting two years later, I upgraded to my Janome New Home and gave my singer to a friend. It's still going strong!
    Old 05-20-2011, 06:14 AM

Hi

That is exactly how I ended up purchasing my CG550! What had happened was all the machines that they had for that sale price were sold, so they gave me the CG550 plus the ruffle attachment, walking foot, and 3 or 4 more feet for the low price of $250. This is the older CG550 which is all metal, not plastic. I have sewn leather with mine, in fact I made a tool roll for my carving knives. I used thick leather as my carving tools are extremely sharp!

In closing I was pleasantly surprised with the deal, and if they come back here that is when I will purchase a serger!

TreeFrog
    Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
    I bought one of those machines about 15 years ago and I love it. I have had no problems with it. We have a local man who repairs all brands of machines, so service is no problem. The local Singer dealer will repair them also. I wanted a Singer machine at the time and this was all I could afford. The local Singer dealer didn't have a machine for $150. The serger attachment does a pretty good job also. It has come in handy several times.

Sorry my little cheap machine isn't good enough for some of you, but I am happy with it. It does everything I need.
    I, too, bought one of these machines years ago (the teachers edition, cost a little more) to replace the $1600.00 P.O.S. top of the line famous maker brand machine that had to have it's nails done on a weekly basis. My little Singer sews anything I ask it to. And I can strip it down and service it myself. I have never had to have it serviced and I sew on it every day. I did not buy the serger attachment so I can't vouch for that. But if you have a limited amount of money to spend and you don't care if the Twitter app comes with your machine this is an excellent value.
    Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 AM

I bought one several years ago. PURE JUNK. I sent it to the thrift shop.
    Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 AM

I purchased a singer touch & sew from the singer shop that was a school machine that the school was upgrading as they get new ones quite often and I got it at least 35 or 40 years ago and I am still using it today! I have had to have it repaired a couple time but just due to so much use. I was and am happy with it! Mine dont have a surger or any of that you mentioned but it has different stiches and it sews better than my brothers machine that I have had for 4or 5 years!
    Old 05-20-2011, 07:15 AM

They are the army tank of sewing machines and yes they will sew through anything from satin to leather If you can get it under the foot she will sew like a hot knife thru butter I got mine about 7yrs ago and I use it fo all my heavy fabs With the warranty you can't go wrong I wish our area had this sale
    Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM

I bought one several years back and they are good work horses. Couple years later I bought another that was updated and also a great machine. It is and does what they say they are.

I just donated them to a friend who has a group one evening a week and they are using them as well. These machines are now 12 years old.
    Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 AM

I went to one of the sales. The base machine was $149 but the salesman quickly turned your attention to the upgraded machine which sold for $100 more, then he had the heavy-duty "school" machine for $399. A man standing next to me wanted a machine to sew leather and he had a leather sample with him but it would not sew through the several layers he had. I thought I needed the heavy-duty machine to patch overalls,so I bought the same model on e-bay for $184. The problem is getting several layers of denim (seams) under the presser foot. If you can manage that it sounds like it is going to fly apart. If you are sewing on cotton it is quieter but still noisy compared to my other sewing machines. If I had it to do over, I would have passed on this one.
    Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM

This is exactly how I bought my machine -- the best sewing machine I've ever had! I"m a several-times-a-week sewer, all day on the weekend, and have never, ever had a problem with mine. I bought it about eleven years ago and never expect to have to replace it.
    Old 05-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
    I bought one of those machines about 15 years ago and I love it. I have had no problems with it. We have a local man who repairs all brands of machines, so service is no problem. The local Singer dealer will repair them also. I wanted a Singer machine at the time and this was all I could afford. The local Singer dealer didn't have a machine for $150. The serger attachment does a pretty good job also. It has come in handy several times.

I agree. I've had a couple of them for 12-15 years and just recently donated them to a friend to use at her Tuesday nights craft group who are primarily quilters and they love the machines just as I did before.