Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years.... >

If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

Old 05-28-2011, 09:31 AM

I received an email from Michaels about a month ago, saying that their system had been compromised and that I should check with my bank regarding any account I may have used in their stores. The email said they had some problems in the Chicago area, and were taking no chances on the problem spreading...thus the email. Luckily, I only pay with cash so I didn't need to do anything, but it sured scared me when I first read the email. Sorry to hear about your problem!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Sounds like a specific bank I used to bank at. I had contested an online charge to our account and they refused to stop payment until the investigation was over, even though I told them that I had not made the purchase. Clean out our bank account and went in search of a new bank.
I get that they were trying to save you a whole lot of heatache later, but an email or letter would have been the appropriate thing to do.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Instead of a bank, think about a credit union. We closed our account at the bank and now use the CU. They have the same services - ATM, savings, credit cards, on-line banking. No extra fees.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 AM

oh and it just gets better. I have this checking account just for me. I use it for groceries, online shopping, whatever. I transfer money every week out of our joint account that we use only for bills. Dh has the same set up. That way we both know exactly how much we have to spend and bill money is safe. I never even got checks for this account since I only use the debit card. So when I went to the bank to get cash out I handed the teller my card and she gave me a blank counter check. That debit card is not hooked to our joint account. She took the money out of the joint account. Never asked me what account or anything. This morning dh asked me what the check was for and I was adamant that I hadn't written a check.....cause I knew I hadn't! I have one thing pending on my account and then I'm closing it and the kids savings accounts and moving them elsewhere.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:30 AM

We were on a trip out of state and our bank cancelled the card because there were 'out of state' transactions on it! We only found out when we were low on fuel and stopped at a gas station. Thankfully I had another bank card and we were able to use that one.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:40 PM

I would check with your bank or check your information the bank sends (disclosure) to you every year of what their policy's are for funds availability. Just because your payroll dept releases funds on a certain day or time it takes time for them to be routed to different banks and then the accounts. I'm not trying to be a snot but its not like in the movies where you poke a button in one spot and its automatic to the account. It might have to be routed from, payrollers bank, to their processer to the gaining banks processer, to the bank, and then to the account.
That being said, I have had customers call me upset because their debit card isn't working and store tells them its the banks fault. Everytime you run that debit card in a machine it is tracked. I can be looking at the network and have no record of them running it thru and being declined (always with a reason code) and them insisting that its the banks fault. I don't think it ever crosses peoples minds that it could be where your trying to use it, their machine, processer, home office or where ever the business is done. There are central processing centers that process millions of transactions a day.

My biggest guess is while they are doing the weekly balancing or back up of transactions the processer is unable to conduct business. They could pick a better time to do it, like 2am or something like that.
I hope any of this information helps you.

Originally Posted by quilter68
To 2000HD and all reading this thread:

A grocery chain in my area does an accounting balance on Friday evening around 6:00pm to 7:00pm. What that has to do with this subject is: The store refused my card. My paycheck was auto deposited at 12:01am that day. There was money in that account so why was my card rejected? The store manager said try that bank (same shopping center) and of course it worked. So why did he say my card wasn't good instead of saying 'We are doing a balance check'?
I do not shop at ACME because of that lie! And many people know about this now.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Bank of America just did this to my brother two days ago. They sent him a new debit card, that he put away thinking to use it if the other one wore out, and the letter with it, said in small letters, that his account had been compromised, and was closed to protect him. He nearly went to jail for trying to get a pay day loan on a closed account!
Old 05-28-2011, 02:49 PM

I got a call three weeks ago from Visa (not my credit union) and told me they canceled my debit card for fraudulent activity in Michigan. I live in Illinois. I asked them what was suspicious, they said three different purchases at the same store ( Meiyers ?) in the same day for over a hundred dollars each time. I asked how they knew it wasn't me because we travel a lot. They said they track my spending habits and I never did that before. That store doesn't require pin numbers on debit, you can just sign the name on the card. So..be careful where you shop and they just let you sign and tell them that is unacceptable!!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:50 PM

I got a email from Michael's last week saying that someone had got into there records and to watch and to notify my bank to see if any problems happen.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM

I had this happen with a online store......got a charge from WM for over $900. My Bank was good and within a week it was back and all taken care of. I found it within 3 hrs of the charge!