Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Nettie Baker - Fabric Maker >

Nettie Baker - Fabric Maker

Nettie Baker - Fabric Maker

Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM

Welcome from Wisconsin, love your work :)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Welcome!
Do you make yardage fabric? or print via your computer printer?
I make yardage fabric. I do not print from my computer; I don't know how to get the results that professional printing gives me. I use Fabric On Demand and their printing washes nicely. No starching, ever! It seems that starching destroys the ink that is used. I am looking for manufacturers that can do much larger runs, but then I would have to order 1000 yards at once. I'm not ready for that, yet. There are too many variables that can go wrong when printing from my own computer, and I would rather have someone else have those headaches, i.e., equipment malfunction, color adjustments, stuff like that. I have my hands full designing and painting. That takes up a lot of my time.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandybuttons
Welcome from Wisconsin, love your work :)
Thank you! It is really a labor of love. I am hoping to get a website up where folks can see what craziness I am up to. I love input!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Beautiful work! Welcome to our board!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShySally
hi from tn.sound very interesting.
Thanks! It is. There is so much to know about fabric, first off. Then, all that I learned in college comes into play on color, composition (so critical!), and technique. And drawing. Get this: I had a car accident years ago, and after that brain trauma, this has happened. I sometimes wish I had been knocked upside the head when I was younger, LOL! I do believe that accident changed my life in more good ways than I knew could happen. I have slight memory problems, but with the computer software, I can do this! Art is so important. And I love the smell of cotton fabric.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by coloradosky
Welcome from New York. Your hobby sounds interesting.
HI Coloradosky! Gosh, you live in such a beautiful place! Yes, this is a fun hobby. It keeps me on my toes. The sky is the limit for design.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 AM

hi and welcome from oklahoma
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kathios
WOW--your work is awesome! Welcome from New Hampshire
Wow, Maureen! Thank you so much! I love what the original artists had in mind, and I hope that I am able to bring the restorations close to what they had in mind. I am in love with this whole process. And seeing something made up from a picture is so much fun. I think that when we quilt, part of ourselves is in every stitch. Does that sound understandable? I really think we invest alot of ourselves. I have a new print that I am doing for my son's girlfriend. She loves cats! So, I found this one. Once I get my hands on it, I will probably repaint it. I love the little black cat. I know how he feels! LOL!!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-210955.jpe  
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
That sounds like a great idea!
HI Denise!
See you like cats! I hope you enjoy my new print. I love these cats, and it's vintage. I only use pictures that are public domain. And then, if there are any questions, I repaint it from scratch. I will do it as "work after". I love art, and I love it hanging on my walls. I also love quilting. So, in marrying the two, I get a fun hobby. Here is a picture of the one that got me started. I wanted to make something for Christmas and thought of the Santa cards that I have. I want to change this one a bit, put a sprig of misteltoe in her hand and a border of holly, berries and ???, still thinking. I think I want to do a bit more redrawing on this one...just not finished with it. I guess you need to know when to walk away.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-210959.jpe  
Old 06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amma
Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D
I love your idea!
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy the ones that I have posted. I kinda think it's a cool way to honor the artists from over 100 years ago.