Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • FMQ - COTTON OR POLYESTER >
  • FMQ - COTTON OR POLYESTER

• FMQ - COTTON OR POLYESTER

Old 06-30-2011, 04:46 AM

I've been quilting with poly for years. Doesn't matter for me. Do what you want to do, your quilt, your rules.
    Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 AM

i use poly and many longarm quilters do (at least in the bobbin).
    Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 AM
    Banned

Thank you all so much for the responses. I loaded my second quilt on the new frame last night and I will say I loaded my Isacord poly to quilt it with. You just can't beat the shine and pretty colors. I think between that and the connecting threads cottons I have, I wull just use whatever color I have that looks nice.
    Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 AM

Do what works and what you enjoy. What does it really matter 100 yrs. from now? I don't think many will survive that long if they are loved and used!
    Old 06-30-2011, 06:58 AM

I was taught that polyester is so strong it will wear a hole in the fabric around it. I use it anyway if there,s a good reason. I prefer cotton, but for no eason in particular. I just like the idea of natural fibers. I use polyester for topstitching on my appliques.

And in 100 years I don't give a **** what happens to my quilts. I doubt any of my progeny will either.
    Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 AM

I use cotton for all my piecing and quilting ... the School of Thought is not that poly threads break faster, but rather that polyester will CUT into cotton fabrics over time because it IS stronger than the fabrics.
    But will our quilts survive long enough to even put this to the test ? I hope mine are loved & used up ... I don't expect them to be in museums in 100 yrs ! :)
    Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Selena
    Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    I use the thread which matches the quilt. So it may be 100% cotton or blend.

I want my quilts to be used, so I don't care what they look like 100 years later. Let's enjoy them while we are here.

We were celebrating my grandmother's 90th birthday and for dinner I was getting down the good china, my mother said we shouldn't use it, and I said what better reason than reaching the age of 90? And my grandmother said, we always save it for "good". Then she said and there is no one "ggoder" than we are, so let's use it. Have taken that approach to special items every since.

I understand some people use quilts as an art outlet and that is fine, but mine are not, they are to be loved and used.
    I use all my family heirlooms so that I can enjoy them and I feel connected to those family members. I want the receivers of my quilts to feel the same. Use them please.
    Agree 10,000% !! WHY do we all think we need to save the "good" stuff for someday ... Unless it's a truly priceless heirloom, USE IT, ENJOY IT TODAY !! I have a beautiful set of china & glassware that was my grandmother's, nearly 100 yrs old ... I used to think it had to be "saved" but I realized for who, for what ?? Our kids will likely never want it or use it ! So now I USE it for Sunday dinners, birthdays and holidays :)
    Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 AM

It's a myth about polyester cutting the fabric or so says the guy at Superior threads.
    Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 AM

I just took a class on FMQ last week, and we were told we need to use the same top AND bottom, so if you use poly on the top, you need a poly on the bottom. Same goes for cotton. Don't know how accurate this is, but I DO trust this teacher greatly.
    Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM

My Guild had Barbara Shapel as our guest speaker last week. Her quilts are fabulous! The back usually mimics the front design. When asked what kind of thread she uses, she said the right color! She uses all types of threads, not just cotton. I myself just quilted a quilt using silk thread.