Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can you tell....... >

How can you tell.......

How can you tell.......

Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 AM

I've never been able to figure out how to keep track of how many HOURS I've acturally been sewing. It's hard enough to make estimations of how long I've been in my quilting room putting together pieces, trying colors together, digging for just the right material/template/thread, staring at my quilt wall, sticking fabrics up next to others... nope, too bright, try another..... etc., etc., etc.

So, like most people I wait until I hear the pop or realize things aren't going as smoothly as usual. I change needles from piecing to quilting, or if I'm using some heavy fabric, but I put those "slightly" used needles back into their proper case upside down, and use them again later when I have their special need.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 AM

After completely ruining a sewing machine by hitting a pin while sewing over pins, I absolutely NEVER sew over pins anymore. Very expensive lesson learned. As for changing the needle, I remove it from the machine after I finish the quilt top, whether it's pieced, appliqued, or combination of both. That way I always start with a new needle for the next one.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by almostfree
Originally Posted by Treasureit
I change my needle only when I have a problem or it breaks. Sewing machine dealers are like any other saleperson - sell sell sell! If it works I use it.
That's what I was thinking. I only change it if I need to.
Ditto.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 AM

Usually after each large project or 2 or 3 small projects. I change my needle on my quilting machine after every quilt.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 AM

I'm with you, though I don't sew over pins anymore because the repairman fussed at me! Too many scratches on the bobbin case. I just can't see changing the needle if I don't have a problem and you can sure tell.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 AM
Banned

I don't change mine until I have to..BUT I do remove it and run it in and out on the emery strawberry a few dozen times to sharpen it back up...I also use microtex needles, so they are very fine pointed...
Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the tips - I am really bad about changing needle-I really never think about it. Will have to keep any "eye" on it. thanks cheryl :thumbup:
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM

I go by the sound. A sharp needle just goes through the fabric, but a dull neddle makes a punch type sound. I just know it's not working as easily as it should.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
I'll probably be in the minority here but I only replace mine when I break or bend a needle. I sew over pins all the time and still, amazingly, break few. That said, I only piece on my machine - no MQ'ing so I can't say if that makes a difference. As long as my machine isn't complaining and the sewing is going along fine I don't bother to change.
ditto for me..
Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 AM

If you can believe this....a lady I quilt with has only been quilting for about 4 or 5 years, but the way her quilts look it seems she has been quilting all of her life. They are so beautiful and she does some pretty fantastic things and never had lessons. So, one night we are sewing with her at our usual twice monthly get together at the LQS and she seemed to be having some difficulty with her machine and needle. We asked her what was wrong. She said her needle broke and she didn't know how to change it. I asked her when was the last time she changed it and she said she had Never changed it!! LOL! She had had this machine since she started quilting, and the same needle that came in the machine! I asked her to let us know what brand it was; they must be really good to have lasted that long.