Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What can one do to prevent fleas? >

What can one do to prevent fleas?

What can one do to prevent fleas?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:07 AM

A bit after the fact to help you but, having owned large dogs since 1968, I have always put a couple of shakes of garlic powder in their food each day and not one has ever gotten one flea or tick on them. I swear by the natural method as opposed to chemical solutions.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:13 AM

If you can find it where you live try Frontline. It gets rid of fleas inabout a week. I had them in the house, up the wall and in the yard so bad we couldn't go outside. Tried all the sprays and grandulars on the market , spent about $250 and still had fleas, went to the vet for help and he told me he would gaurantee that Frontline would get rid of the fleas in 2 weeks, it worked in 1. I keep Frontline on my animals
Old 09-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Annette Searcy
If you can find it where you live try Frontline. It gets rid of fleas inabout a week. I had them in the house, up the wall and in the yard so bad we couldn't go outside. Tried all the sprays and grandulars on the market , spent about $250 and still had fleas, went to the vet for help and he told me he would gaurantee that Frontline would get rid of the fleas in 2 weeks, it worked in 1. I keep Frontline on my animals
But how does it work on the outdoor fleas?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:33 AM

20 mule team borax........sprinkle in carpet and work it in with the broom. Leave it a few days then vaccume. no more fleas.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:44 AM
QKO

Wow, after hearing all these horror stories about fleas, I'm happy we live at high altitude (~5000' amsl).

Fleas rarely appear above 4000' amsl. :thumbup:
Old 09-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Swap Hosts

Rub diatomaceous earth in his fur and give brewers yeast tablets for dogs. And don't go to that groomer again! That's horrible.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 AM

We've been using Brewers Yeast tablets for years and rarely have any fleas or ticks. Give tablets daily.

Spray baseboards with ammonia and spray around foundation of house - keeps out critters.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:08 AM

You want to be careful with some of the stuff you are advising here, sorry...but if any of you have lickers, like I do....some chemicals are toxic to pets. So, please, check with your vet before you use them.

I hope you had a few words with the groomer, and passed the word around about getting the fleas there. I learned to clip my girl's nails myself (and have the scars to prove it) after spending the money to have my vet's techs do it. Too many horror stories about the groomers everywhere. I had taken Daisy...the one in my avatar, to the groomer at PetSmart just once, and she was so freaked out that I made them stop.

Fleas are the absolute worst. You have to keep washing the bedding for weeks, same with the rugs, furniture, etc., until you kill all the fleas, larvae and eggs. Used the D.E. on your lawn. Get human grade, and you can add it to their food. It also gets rid of other pesky bugs. Be careful with garlic. DOn't give your pets raw garlic, ask your vet about that, it can be toxic to them. It's not the same as the pills.

I would go to the groomer and complain, and get my money back. At least get that much satisfaction.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by QKO
Wow, after hearing all these horror stories about fleas, I'm happy we live at high altitude (~5000' amsl).

Fleas rarely appear above 4000' amsl. :thumbup:
I was just sitting here wondering why I have never had problems with flea's. You answered that question. Thanks. Ticks are another story for us.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Okay, we pulled up our carpets. Have you tried mothballs in your vacuum bag? That supposedly kills them. The only time ours have a flea or two now is when they come home from the groomers. This has happened only twice but the Vet gives us a pill that kills any that are on the dogs. Works wonders. You can only give it once every 30 days or more and I can not think what it is called.