Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 AM

welcome from rainy Pa
Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 AM

hi 7 WELCOME FROM YOUR NEIGHBOR
Old 09-07-2011, 05:19 AM

Hi and welcome from Arizona.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:29 AM

Hi! Welcome from the W. WA state coast.

I'm new too and if you take the time to look around ALL the links you'll find this place to be more fun then Disneyland (and I've ONLY scratched the surface!). Love it!

What a great idea to make blankets from your scarves. If the scarves are cotton I would just cut 6.5" squares, add 2.5" borders and sew them together using a 1/4" seam. When you're done sew on a simple border and voilla! If they are a polyester or slippery you might need to back them.

I'm attaching a photo of a baby quilt I just finished for a little cowboy. This was done with no pattern - just cutting squares, putting on 2.5" side borders on the squares (sides first then top/bottom). It has batting and backing. You can tie the blanket if you're not sure how to machine quilt it.

Pop into ANY quilt store near you and they can give you MANY GOOD TIPS to get you off to a perfect start! If you're not familiar with a rotary cutter etc they can help you.

Congrats on being a survivor!

Attached Thumbnails attachment-252765.jpe  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Tennessee--so happy you are cancer free.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Highmtn

I'm new too and if you take the time to look around ALL the links you'll find this place to be more fun then Disneyland (and I've ONLY scratched the surface!). Love it!

What a great idea to make blankets from your scarves. If the scarves are cotton I would just cut 6.5" squares, add 2.5" borders and sew them together using a 1/4" seam. When you're done sew on a simple border and voilla! If they are a polyester or slippery you might need to back them.

I'm attaching a photo of a baby quilt I just finished for a little cowboy. This was done with no pattern - just cutting squares, putting on 2.5" side borders on the squares (sides first then top/bottom). It has batting and backing. You can tie the blanket if you're not sure how to machine quilt it.

Pop into ANY quilt store near you and they can give you MANY GOOD TIPS to get you off to a perfect start! If you're not familiar with a rotary cutter etc they can help you.

Thank you!!! This is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Some of my scarves are silky (but most are cotton or knit) . . . what should I back them with?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Highmtn

And, by the way, I LOVE this quilt . . . someone's going to be very happy!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 AM

Welcome from Almo!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from New York. Your idea to make quilts from your scarves sounds really great. Lots of great ideas on the web for patterns.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 AM

Hi & Welcome from Macon Georgia