Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt kits PRE cut!? >

quilt kits PRE cut!?

quilt kits PRE cut!?

Old 09-25-2011, 05:52 AM

I too hate to cut. If I like the pattern, I would buy it even if some of the fabric was not my choice. I ususally give all my quilt away anyhow...Let me know when you get going...

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
At one of the quilt stores I used to go to all the time, they told me that they had many many customers who came in and asked for help in picking out fabrics for a quilt, then the LQS cut out the fabric for them to sew. When it was pieced, they brought it back and it was longarmed. They had many quilts already cut out for people to buy. They would have old patterns like Log Cabin or Dresdan plate, whatever you wanted and they would be in various color combinations. Absolutley beautiful. The owner of the store spent hours each day cutting out fabric for others, said she loved doing it. I think there is a need for cutting as well as color/fabric selection.
that is called JOB security..hehehe

I do not have a shop but I do LOVE to pick the fabrics for kits. Something I learned while working at a shop in Alaska that made up kits.
I think there is definitely a niche in doing the cutting for people!
I do really accurate cutting, but do have two die cutters as well! One of my dies sets is the entire 12" block collection from Accuquilt. I have the book and can cut out hundreds of different quilt patterns just using that!

I have found that if the older ladies like the quilt pattern, they are not as picky about the fabric choices. Though I do a really good job of putting that together as well!

I showed some elderly ladies at the retirement home last night 6 different kits I had cut out. THey loved them all! They also loved my baby quilts. Very simple layout with die cut shapes in every other block...super simple and already to go!
Some like fusible and some don't so I just die the fusible web and they can either buy it or skip it!

Now to figure out how to market this idea!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Banned

I remember back in the 80's-90's I bought some Log cabin kits from The Homespun Hearth catalog.
They kept quilting alive when most thought it was gone!
I looked them up today..via google and was SHOCKED to see what they have become.
Definitely NOT the traditional stuff any more and wow..the prices! Of course I love all things Alaska/wilderness for fell in love with their BOM kit. But at $500 after shipping costs, well...they can keep my kit!

http://www.homespunhearth.com/kits.asp
Old 09-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

For me, having the fabric washed (and ironed) before cutting (preshrunk and excess dye removed) is extremely important.

Would you be willing to include that in your service? And if so, what would you charge?

The next question, would people be willing to pay it?

Would you charge by yardage plus X amount per piece (sort of like how paypal charges?)

Would you finish the edges before washing?

Would you totally refuse to mess with washing before cutting?

I'm thinking that some people don't wash fabrics before cutting just because it's a hassle to do any laundry.

Would you include some extra fabric to cover mistakes?

Overall - I avoid kits because:

1) I like my fabrics washed before they are cut
2) I like having extra (excess) fabric available in case I make a mistake (and I usually do)
3) I like to have flexibility to change my mind during the process -
4) I get upset if the kit doesn't end up looking like the picture (missing pieces, wrong size cuts, poorly written instructions, etc. would be contributing factors - I would not blame the kit if I was the cause of the goof)
Old 09-25-2011, 06:47 AM

Kits already cut would be great. See what they are selling for in LQS.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Jacqui- did you look at the links MTS put up??? I was wondering what you thought of the price for the kaleidoscope-
that seems cheap to me.
Let me know if you can- thanks!
Sue
Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 AM

i love precut kits myself as i hate to cut out my quilts ive bought several on ebay and used them as gifts. its the fastest way i can think of to make something nice for someone. i like to think of myself as creative but every project i do dosent have to be the mona lisa and sometimes i like other peoples color choices better than my own. but i do like to get the pattern with it so that i can make it again in another fabric choice should i want to.
carla
Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 AM

Lately I seem to have more time than money so I wouldn't pay to have a quilt precut. I also think that is part of the quilt process. JMHO
Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 AM

Many eons ago I use to buy pre-cut Aunt Martha's I believe, I have a "trip around the world" that a lady made for me from a pre-cut. Cutting out is the least favorite thing I do!! At least there is some accuracy in these!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 AM

I bought a pre-cut 1930's repo DWR from Fons and Porter. I think it was worth the price and is going together very beautifully and quickly. I did not prewash. I also bought a pre-cut wreath wallhanging I'm anxious to get done before the holidays. Would consider buying pre-cuts again if it is the right price and design I wanted. A lot of the ones today are laser cut and curves are precut for easy placement.
As for precutting for someone else, I would probably charge too much!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 AM

I don't mind cutting so this isn't a option I would go for. That being said I know others who hate cutting out their fabric. It takes awhile to do so don't cut your self short. (No pun intended).There are quilter's out there with a bigger budget than I have so there probably is a market.