Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bomb Sniffing Dogs Being Euthanized >

Bomb Sniffing Dogs Being Euthanized

Bomb Sniffing Dogs Being Euthanized

Old 09-27-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Sounds like that attorney has not done enough research into the facts of what happens to retired military service dogs. It is unrealistic to believe that the military, the same people who pay thousands of dollars for a hammer, find it too expensive to ship eligible dogs home for adoption...key word is eligible.

Read some of the facts for yourself.
http://www.military.com/entertainmen...-dog-adoptions
Thanks so much for the voice of reason and a link to reality.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 AM

My Grandson, Sgt Kenneth A. Fischer is a dog handler in the marine corp and was badly injured by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan on Sept. 8, 2011. When I google "dog handlers in Afghanistan" the story of this comes up. According to the article Kenny is adopting Drak and is going to take him home with him. It is my understanding that this is the normal chain of events for these wonderful animals. Kenny wants to keep Drak so much.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:31 AM

My SIL who is an active duty AF bomb dog handler just recently adopted his dog who saved his life many times. She was having seizures due to the excessive heat and had to be retired. They had to bring her home with the muzzle on the first few times to see how she would react to small children (they have 2) and other dogs (they have a sm one). Needless to say she is wonderful the best dog I have ever been around. She obeys commands like you wouldn't believe! She doesn't like guns, not even play ones she takes them away from my GS and brings them to us and yes she has dreams sometimes but has never became aggressive. We kept her a few days while they were house hunting and she listens to us also.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 AM

They are the most disciplined dogs you would ever meet. I just got done playing with Benham. He's a British "bloke" that loves to have his belly rubbed and sniffs out beef jerky we hid between the packages. He's from the UK and he is almost done with adopting his person. The paperwork will be final when they redeploy.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 AM

do they do this to the soldiers also ? so why do it to the dogs...they deserve the right to live also !!!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:36 AM

The military has done a wonderful job of taking care of "Drak" when he and my Gs were attacked bu the suicide bomber. Drak is a soldier, just like on=ur young men and are treated as such. Drak was badly wounded, but has had medical care just as Kenny has had.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 AM

My question after seeing this thread and the military.com story (true story) is whether this lawyer's email a legitimate request for homes, or a way to seek money (i.e. Nigeria scams)?

The military.com story describes how they are bringing the dogs back to Lackland and checking temperament for adoption purposes.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 AM

My husband called Lackland Air Force Base in TX where the dogs are trained. They were very interested in this attorney so Bob gave the contact info to them. Bob also called this attorney & talked with a co-worker who said the 4 dogs mentioned had all found homes. Still haven't been able to find out whether these dogs are military dogs or maybe private contractor dogs. I really appreciate everyone's responses & if I do find out anything more, will definitely post.
Sue
Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 AM

OMG that is terrible. I wish I could take more dogs on myself. I just can't believe they are now thought of as nothing. Breaks my heart. :thumbdown:
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Do you know this attorney? I would be afraid of it being a scam.