Motorhome, camping it is very difficult to have a
    campfire in a hotel room.
    Lana
    the Quilting Dreamer
    Lansing, MI
    How true!!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-263352.jpe  
    Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 PM

We never take vacation in summer. Heck, we live in the country, why would we camp or go to a cottage (except that we wouldn't have to mow the grass there--LOL)

Last minute vacation sites for us. (Canadian) Red Tag or Wholesale.com are the ones we usually use. Mayan Riviera or Mexican Pacific coast are our playgrounds of choice. I NEEEEEED all inclusive because it is not a vacation for me, if I am cooking or cleaning up.

We have talked about the possibility of taking a month or six weeks in Mexico in a condo, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon. DH starts going stir-crazy after 10 days. I could spend the whole winter there.
    Old 09-27-2011, 07:37 PM

I have car camped, stayed in my car, motel and timeshared a couple of times (my bro has a time share and doesn't always use it). I can no longer do the camping part, alas, so I look to stay in mom and pop places.

My last vacation was to the Houston Quilt Show (2005). My next one will probably be to another Quilt show.
    Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 PM

We have a travel trailer now. My own bed, bathroom and kitchen. So, any place we park is where we might stay for just a night or longer. We don't usually make reservations, unless it's some place like Disney.
    Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 PM

My brother has a time share in the Hilton hotels. He can stay at any Hilton anywhere in the world. It also sounded like he could "bank" some time so if he wants to go overseas and stay there for a few weeks in a couple years he could save his time and use it then. His time share also allows him to give some time, if he wants to, to anyone he desires. Also, if he wants to stay longer than the time he bought, he can stay at a greatly reduced rate.

Sorry I sound like an advertisement.
    Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 PM

We have timeshares in Las Vegas. One on the strip and one on the outskirt of town. But we can trade them for places all over the world. My eldest daughter and i used it to visit Boston & New York City a few years ago.

But my heaven on earth is Yosemite. We camp sometimes and others we stay at Yosemite Lodge. We usually go twice a year.
    Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
    WE camp in a rustic camp ground, no electricity, running water or showers! The lake is the bathtub and this year we bought a small trailer.That is our vacation each year since we were married. 40 years ago.!
    That sounds like DH's kind of vacation (he thinks). I tell him to go for it and I'll be down the street in a luxury hotel and no, he cannot use my bathroom! lol
    Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 AM

In the last few years we have only been to Sedona, Arizona. We are lucky enough to have a family condo there that we get to stay in.
    Old 09-28-2011, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by quilter_kjm
    have an idea......................... we could swap homes for two weeks. you can vacation in Michigan and we will vacation in N. Carolina...... How does that sound. We could really save some money.
    we are actually going to our time share in the Bahama's(free port) in October. But I would love to visit north carolina.

reminds me of a permanent house swap here in michigan. one family lost their job and they swapped with someone whose house was pd. off and it was a win win situation. the one that had a job moved into a bigger newer home and the one that didnt have a job got a nice 900 sq. ft. home that was pd. off.
    Hmmm... where in Michigan???? I lived in Grand Rapids (job related and not a permanent move - commuted every week via Delta and the hotel clerk knew me by name :-) ) DH joined me over Labor Day that year and we drove Harbor Springs, stayed in a really nice B&B and took a day trip to Mackinaw Island. We loved it and want to go back someday.