Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok, let's be honest >

Ok, let's be honest

Ok, let's be honest

Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
I always sew straight. I find it easy for some reason. Never needed to use the seam ripper so I threw it away a few years back. ...hang on, Elvis and Johnny Cash are knocking on the door again. Maybe they can help me get rid of the aliens who crash landed in my garden, they're eating me out of house and home!
ROFL! I love this post!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Ha! I don't think I could sew straight if my life depended on it. Come to think of it, I could never color inside the lines accurately either.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Nope, not every seam. I really do try to stay as close as I can to the 1/4 inch seam but sometimes I just get off track. Unless you are way far off, it really doesn'show that much after it's been quilted.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM

My washer and dryer make the seams disappear so no one can tell!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 PM

I sew straight except the last 3/8 of an inch. Then I veer to the right. It's not the feed dogs - it's me changing the position of how I feed the fabric to avoid the needle. I watched yesterday to see what was going on. Okay, when we know better, we can do better. I will control the seam all the way to the end from now on. Yeah, right.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
Let's be honest, does everyone sew straight? Gee, maybe it is just me! Ok, I have firgued out to slow down and not hurry that helps. Sewing over straight pins does take me off track so I try to stop take the pins out. I still have to be very careful..is it just me? I would like to hear from you on this.

I've learned how to slide a pin out and toward the back of my machine, slowing down some, but not stopping. I've got a magnetized bowl that I slide over the pins to pick them up when I get to a stopping place.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I sew straight and fairly fast. I don't pin either. But then I've been sewing on a machine since I was 8 or so.
yep this is about my story too. in my clothing design classes i sewed excellent seams. i made exclusive clothes for years so i can sew a straight fast seam. i use seam guides or special 1/4" feet for quilting most of the time and i rarely pin anything but to match points.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

How about using this trick? With this I sew long seams together with amazing speed. Also use it to piece blocks fairly quickly, but it also makes slow sewing more accurate for me.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails easy-quarter-inch-seam-allowance-trick.gif  
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
How about using this trick? With this I sew long seams together with amazing speed. Also use it to piece blocks fairly quickly, but it also makes slow sewing more accurate for me.

Jan in VA

the white foam tape works great as a stop gap also. visually i couldnt have a lot of different things attached to my machine such as note pads or rubber bands. it would be distracting to me.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 PM

What is a straight seam??? I haven't met one in my sewing room yet. My machines, the serger included, seem to love "interesting and unique".